"Most of them weren't very nice if I'm being honest," For a fraction of a second the corners of his mouth twitched upwards until his conscious mind asserts control again, "But then I realized, I shouldn't have been mad at you. It was my fault. I shouldn't have asked you to be my girlfriend when I knew all along that you liked Brody, I guess I just hoped that you would eventually like me too,"

I let Ryan's words hang as I grasped at my sweaty, nervous hands under the table and cast an uneasy glance in Brody's direction. He was sat at a table on the opposite side of the room and was engrossed in the book he was reading.

Of course, he hadn't looked at us, he didn't care. 

My mouth was almost too dry to speak. I nodded like an idiot and then croaked out, "I did like you Ryan, but I just liked-"

"Brody more," He finished my sentence and nodded in a sad acceptance.

I watched his face, the way his shoulders hunched and his teeth chewed his bottom lip.  I toyed with the idea of lying and telling him he meant more but stopped myself short.

No more lies.

"Well, I guess it sucks that we all didn't get what we wanted aye?" His an attempt to keep things light already waning.

"Yeah, I guess so," I mumbled and my eyes quickly flickered towards the one person I wanted. I held my lips in a thin line to try and conceal the hurt on my face as I glanced back to Ryan.

He finally looked up at me, his blue eyes scanning my face and he relaxed, "Chin up Ivy, It'll get better I promise,"

"I bloody hope so," I said, "It's pretty shitty when everyone has turned against you,"

"Not everyone," He corrected.

"Oh really?" I said sourly and rolled my eyes, "Then who hasn't?"

"I haven't turned against you," He said matter factly and a small smile reached his lips, "I wasn't exactly that fond of you for a while, but I never hated you, Ivy. Far from it actually,"

"Thank you,"

And I genuinely meant it.

"He's just as miserable if that helps," Ryan said and I didn't have to ask to know who he was talking about.

"Is he?" I sighed and rubbed at the sore spot in my temple. I thought to hear that he was hurting as well would make me feel better, but it just made me feel worse.

"Well he's been staying in the cabin since him and his dad aren't on great terms, and I've only seen him in passing, he's always out as well, but we aren't exactly friends right now and quite frankly I've tried to avoid him as much as I can,"

I felt a pang of guilt in my chest at his words. If it hadn't been for me they would have been friends, behaved like brothers even. I never meant to split them apart.

"Well he's probably out with his next hookup," I said bitterly and looked up when Ryan laughed.

"Far from it," He said, "I think he spends most of his time at the library,"

"The library?" I tried to hide the shock from my face.

"Yeah, he's been trying to find this book," He nodded towards where Brody was sat, "I saw him in his dads study the other day trying to look for it, I have no idea why,"

"Strange..." I trailed and snuck a glance in his direction.

What have you found Brody?

"You are playing the whole dark and broody teen to the next level," He chuckled and his change of subject didn't go unnoticed, "How many days have I seen you wear that hoodie?"