Chapter Twenty-Three

Oliver's POV ( flash back)

I walk down the semi busy hallways passing random people. I walk toward the elevator pressing the big number and entering the big metal box. I pressed the large button with the number  4 printed  that would bring me to Sophie's floor.  I had a tight grip on the tanned stuffed lion that would hopefully bring a smile to her tiny little face.

I could feel my heart pounding as the elevator slowly came to a complete stop. The little bell dings and the doors open quick. I walk towards the recovery unit and keep trying to repeat what I'm going to say to Sophie when I get in there..

The thoughts of why I got her nala and .. dammit I thought to my self I should have prepared this. I shake my head trying to get my bad thoughts out.   Come on Oliver we need to do this and show her how much we want her to be out daughter. I repeatedly told myself.

I shocked myself a little I was surprised at how I could go from pure jealousy to pure love and adoration. I dunno something about seeing her and Danielle snuggling on the hospital bed hit a cord for me.  It's like everything melted away. 

My thoughts to myself ended quick as I found my self in front of Sophie's hospital room door. I knocked gently and pushed the door open my nostrils hit with a mix of bleach hand sanitizer and warm smell of my wife's perfume. I couldn't help but have a satisfied grin a comfortable scent everything about it was basically my life. I walked into the room and could see Sophie was asleep little snores escaping her. I looked to the right and could see my wife sitting in the chair typing away on her MacBook. She looked up and gave me a tired smile. I walked towards her and rested my right hand on her cheek feeling her soft skin as it embraced my hand. I looked into her tired brown eyes and could help but get lost for a moment. I studied her face, noting the small bags the once red lipstick was gone and had faded to pink, the messy but still perfect bun she had in her hair. As I kept looking it hit me that this is the look of a mom. She was a mom.

What's that ? Danielle asked in a small whisper with a little grin on her lips.

Oh uh just a little something for the future daddy's girl laying in the bed. I said in a playful tone.

I looked at Sophie and as I heard Danielle chuckle

A daddy's girl huh... sorry babe but that little girl laying in that uncomfortable bed is a total mama's girl through and though no matter how many stuffies you try to bribe her with. Danielle said with a raised brow and a half smile.

Danielle stood up placing her laptop on the table and started up stretch. She walk closer toward me and just fell into my arms. I held her tight and rubbed her back and shoulders while kissing her temple. I took a deep breath in through my nose and took scent in. Smelling the almost a fire like smell. The smell that makes you feel like your next to a cozy fire drinking hot chocolate in the middle of winter. It was a soothing smell with a touch of cinnamon.

I slowly released her from my grasp. And watched as she stepped back from my embrace.

I smiled softly at her.

Baby why don't you go get something to eat ? I'll be here incase she wakes up.

No I couldn't Oliver it just .. I .. I just don't want her to .. maybe she will need something or maybe.. Danielle rambled.

I cut her off. Danielle the girl will be fine I promise ok. I watch as she nods but stares at the sleeping child. Sophie will be fine I swear. I look her in the eyes and try to show her that mine were serious.

Sweetheart I got this I promise. I mean soon enough I'll be watching her at home. Have a little faith and trust in me I mean .. I have kept her alive this long. I said with a smirk.

I wanna say I got away with that comment but the punch to the shoulder would be the first tell tale sign that I say to many stupid things.

Fine she sighs to herself fine I will be right back .. 10 minutes that's it enough to get a snack.

She walks towards Sophie and kisses her forehead and whispers something in her ear.

She grabs her purse and as she leaves I can see a glare cross her face as she looks towards me. She turns and silently walks out of the room.

I loosen my tie and let go of the breath I didn't know i was holding. I walk towards the chair Danielle was previously occupying. I look towards the sleeping forum and just watch. I take notice of every feature on the face including the healing bruises. I look down to my hands and look at the the nala lion.

God I hope she likes it I say out loud and sigh.

Nahhhla.

I hear the soft whisper. And look up to see Sophie's blue eyes peeking out of the blanket.

That's right sweetie this is Nala. And guess what honey she's all yours. I stand up and walk towards her with nala in my hands. I can see her poke push the blanket out a little and I can see the small excited smile on her face and I gently put nala in her arms.

Tank you. she whispers and holds nala tightly in her delicate arms. I smile as she nuzzles the stuffed animal.

Yes it was definitely a good choice.