Chapter Twenty-One

Oliver's POV

  Not going to lie my concentration has been especially since Danielle sent me a couple photos of Sophie from yesterday evening.   I just haven't been able to put my phone down to stop admiring the cutest sight I've seen in a long time .. I mean sure I'm still reserved about it but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I sit back in my chair and think back to the other day when her    "parents"  were here making a scene.. and then only 20 minutes later the social work comes and gives us news that is good but I know is not good enough for Danielle. Since Sophie's been here Danielle has barely left her side it's been 5 days since that terrible night and the woman hasn't stopped. I pull up the photo again smile.

—————————-Flash Back ———————————
As I was doing my check ups with patients I suddenly hear a loud commotion coming from
Sophie's room. Walking towards the door I start to hear the loud deep voice of a man followed by a woman both of whom I don't recognize.. I hear Danielles "no Bullshit,  I'm gonna tear you apart" voice come out and I'm thanking god I'm not the one receiving it.  I can start to hear Sophie's terrified sobs and I can feel my heart break a little at how terrified she sounds. I tell the nurses to call security and then decide it is the time to jump in.

Ahem ...

I watch as Danielle walks away and closes the curtain.

Is there is problem here ?  I ask on a tone that showed I wasn't really interested in what they had to say but still "presentable" for a doctor.

Yessss that woman is keeping us from our daughter!!! the short woman yelled her blood shot green eyes twitching non stop as she yelled. I demand that she be removed at once!

Yeah we are her parents we need ta the little b.. our little girl man. This isn't right! Her husband yelled out a few seconds later.

I could smell drugs and alcohol from where I was standing and knew instantly what type of people i was going to be dealing with aside from the type of people I was already preparing for after seeing the state of poor Sophie.

Mr and Mrs Mills I assume? * you're damn right that's who we are. Mr Mills responds with an angry tone.

I'm gonna ask if we could possible speak out into the hall way. Your daughter has been through a lot and it's best not to stress her out with the yelling. I ask in a calm voice, I could see them wanting to say no and wanting to try and make things worse for Sophie but I knew they needed to try to keep up with appearances so I knew they would come out. Leading them out the door and into the where I knew the cameras would catch them i continued my conversation with them.

Now Mr and Mrs Mills. I know you are concerned for your daughters safety * doubtful( I though to my self)* But bursting into her room is not something we allow here. Secondly your daughter was badly beaten and from the scans on the x rays we have done it is showing that this isn't a one time occurrences would you mind answering these questions for me please? I asked firmly.

We don't have to answer none of your bullshit questions. Mrs. Mills spoke yelled out she's my fucking daughter and I'll do what I want when I want and what I want is for her to be out of that fucking bed NOW! I had a small grin on my face knowing all to well calling them out especially in the state they are was working in my favour. The defensive hot headed stage of drug induced child abusers as I like to call them.

I'm sorry we can't do that. I again do a closed mouth grin and look at my watch.

What the fuck do you mean you can't do that! You better fucking do I we own that little bit.. girl.... she's our daughter. You fucking prick

I shake my head this was going to be way easier the I thought. They were being way to sloppy about this. I sigh and notice 4 peace officers ( basically one step down before real city cops in Edmonton) walking toward us.

I'm sorry but under the law and just human decency I will be unable to release the minor Sophie Mills into your care so if you would please leave with these officers I think it would be your best choice tonight. I said while turning to the side to let the officers deal with them

Are you fucking threatening us you piece of shit. Mr Mills said between his teeth I felt a push to my shoulder as he shoved me. I stood there as I watched him go into a fight stance and try to swing towards me only to be tackled down by three out of 4 officers. The fourth containing Mrs Mills and for more back up as Mr Mills Fought. I watched as
the couple was taken away a few moments later. After writing multiple statements I was finally able to do finish my rounds ... or so I thought...

Dr Davis to the ICU nurses station .. Dr.Davis to the ICU nurses station. I hear my name paged .. oh what now I thought.

I finished up with my patient and headed towards the nurses station.

I was paged ? I asked Mary one of the ICU older nurses who I had the pleasure of working with for a long time .

Yes I Oliver dear! There is a woman with CPS asking about the young girl Sophie. The kind woman spoke while pointing toward the brunette.

Thanks Mary I've been waiting for this lady for 3 days. I say with a little eye roll. I walk towards the brunette woman and introduce my self.

Hello I'm Dr Davis. The nursing staff told me you are here about Sophie, correct?

Yes, hello I'm Leah Moreau. We spoke earlier on the phone

Ah yes. I have to admit Ms Moreau I was expecting your visit a lot sooner.

Yes I know Dr Davis but we have been very busy.

Please call me Oliver. I say emotionless as I listen to her excuse.

So from what we spoke about on the phone you and your wife are interested in fostering Sophie ?

Yes we are. But before I get ahead of my self maybe I should go get my wife. She nods and I excuse my self to get Danielle.

————————-End of Flash back —————————

I stand up from my desk and walk to the little love seat I had against the wall in my office. I  pick up the stuffed nala lion stuffie I bought Sophie and decided maybe i should go for a visit to see her...