Chapter Four

(Mrs.Davis - Played by the fantastically       amazing Lana Parrilla)

I see her smiling widely at me, her big brown eyes radiating happiness and her wide smile revealing perfectly straight white teeth. Every feature of her face exuded beauty, from her medium-length dark brown hair to her small yet athletic build. She was perfect in every way, even the small scar on her upper lip added to her charm. I must clarify, I definitely do not have a crush on her, okay? She's just so kind and nurturing, making me feel special in her presence. It's hard not to adore her when she treats all her students with such care and love.

"Sophie, honey, I was so worried when I didn't see you in the halls this morning!" Mrs. Davis expressed in a tone that was a mix of concern and relief. "Hey, Mrs. D. Sorry I worried you; I just woke up late. Don't worry, you know I would never miss your class," I replied with a smile, trying to hide the imperfections beneath my makeup. As Mrs. Davis scrutinized me, I could sense her attempt to decipher if I was telling the truth about waking up late – which technically I did.

"You know I just worry about you, sweetie. Don't tell anyone, but you are my favorite student, and not seeing you this morning made me... sad. I was just so worried and didn't know if something bad happened to you," she confessed with a tinge of unease, hinting at unspoken thoughts. Before I could reassure her of my well-being, a swarm of students flooded into the room, diverting our conversation. Mrs. Davis gave me an apologetic smile, patting my hand before standing up and heading towards the door, waiting for the rest of the class to arrive before closing it.

Turning to the chalkboard, Mrs. Davis began writing something I couldn't decipher at first. However, knowing Mrs. Davis, I anticipated that it would be an engaging class assignment. Once she finished writing, she moved aside and walked to her desk, sitting against it as she waited for everyone to read the task at hand. I glanced at the board and gulped when I read:

"My Family"
Write a 1000-word essay about your family.
For example:
• What your parents/guardians do for a living.
• Where your family is from.
• Relatives.
• How your home life is.
• What you love and hate about your home life.

As she spoke about the assignment's details and deadline, she then turned her attention to me, smiling gently. "Sophie?" she called, and I looked up at her with a quiet "Yes, Mrs. D?"

"Would you be a doll and collect the assignments for me? I'll have a little something waiting for you if you do," she said, lifting a small blue sucker – my favorite treat – as an incentive. With a small smile and a nod, I stood up, trying to conceal the pain coursing through my body. "Of course, Mrs. D," I managed to say as I started collecting the assignments from my classmates, keeping my head down to avoid eye contact.

Suddenly, I was tripped for the second time that day, the impact harder than before. I let out a nearly blood-curdling scream as tears welled up and pain shot through my arm and body. A gentle arm wrapped around me, helping me up as Mrs. Davis intervened, sending the troublemakers to the office with a stern tone I had never heard from her before. As she comforted me, her warmth and gentleness returned, soothing my distress.

"Shhh, it's okay, sweetie," she whispered, guiding me to her desk and calling the office for assistance. While ensuring the class continued with their tasks, she arranged for someone to oversee the room as she escorted me to the school nurse. It struck me as odd that she prioritized my well-being over everything else, but I was grateful for her care and attention. Mrs. Davis gathered my belongings and helped me to my feet, leading me towards the door.

"Come on, sweetie. Let's get that arm checked out," she said, offering a comforting presence as we made our way to the nurse's office.

As we walked down the hallway towards the nurse's office, Mrs. Davis kept a supportive arm around me, ensuring I didn't stumble or falter due to the pain in my arm. Her presence was a source of comfort, and I found myself leaning into her reassuring touch as we made our way through the bustling school corridors.

Despite the throbbing ache in my arm, I couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude towards Mrs. Davis for her unwavering care and concern. She had always been a pillar of support in my life, and in that moment, her kindness shone even brighter. I was touched by her willingness to drop everything and prioritize my well-being, especially in the face of unexpected adversity.

As we reached the nurse's office, Mrs. Davis gently guided me to a chair and ensured I was comfortable before informing the school nurse of the incident. The nurse, a kind and efficient woman, quickly assessed my arm and determined that it would require further examination at the hospital to rule out any serious injury.

Mrs. Davis stayed by my side throughout the entire process, offering words of encouragement and reassurance as we waited for the school's designated driver to take me to the hospital. Her presence was a source of strength, and I found solace in her unwavering support during a time of uncertainty and pain.