Chapter One

Sophie found solace in the silence that enveloped her home. The absence of noise was a rare blessing for her, as it meant her parents were either away or incapacitated by their destructive habits.

Sophie, a 17-year-old student at Strathcona Composite High School, longed for a life different from the one she was living. Her desire to participate in school activities was crushed by her father's violent reaction, leaving her isolated and invisible among her peers. Despite the lack of love and acceptance from her family and classmates, Sophie held onto the hope of being a good person.

The one beacon of light in Sophie's life was her English teacher, Mrs. Davis, who showed her kindness and care that she had never experienced before. Sophie admired Mrs. Davis and her husband, wishing she could have a family like theirs.

As Sophie lay in bed, lost in her thoughts, a sudden noise shattered the peace. The sound of a door slamming and heavy footsteps approaching filled her with dread. The impending danger made her heart race and her breath catch in her throat. With tears welling in her eyes, Sophie braced herself for the inevitable confrontation that awaited her.

The creak of her bedroom door being forcefully pushed open signaled the beginning of another nightmarish ordeal. Sophie's fear and anticipation mingled as she steeled herself for the harsh reality of her life at home. The next chapter of her story was about to unfold, with uncertainty and darkness looming on the horizon.