Bracing for Reality

11/9/19

"Is everyone okay?" The cowboy panted as he stood up, dusting himself off. "Forky's still in there. If we hurry, we can get him before they lock him up."

"You want us to go back in there?" Ducky spat in disbelief.

"We barely got out alive!" Caboom exclaimed.

Buzz tried to approach the Sheriff. "Woody, it's better if we wait."

"No, no, no." Woody began to panic. "There's no time. We can easily get back inside. By my count, there were only four dummies. We outnumber them. So, we have the advantage." He was completely trapped in his mind, ignoring Buzz's countless interruptions on how he saw that Bonnie left her backpack inside the shop.

"Woody, look at us!" Bo snapped. "Nobody is with you. It's over, okay?" You turned to look at your friends, seeing how they were all beat up. Bo's sheep lost a leg, Bunny had deep scratches in us fur from the dummies, your hand was cracked, and everyone else was plain tired.

Woody sighed. "No. No, no, no. We are wasting time. We can do this."

"It's not worth it." Giggles huffed.

"Yeah, yes, listen to her!" Ducky chimed in.

Bo glared at Woody. 'Nobody wants this!'

"I do!" He retorted firmly.

"Why?"

"Because!"

"Why?"

"Just because!"

"Why?"

"Because it's all I have left to do!" Woody finally snapped, quickly turning around to give Bo a furious, panicked glare. His outburst made her take a small step back, and when he realized this, his face softened as he lowered his head. "I don't have anything else."

"So, the rest of us don't count?" She frowned.

"That's.... That's not what I meant. Bonnie needs Forky."

Bo sobbed, "No. You need Bonnie! Open your eyes, Woody. There's plenty of kids out there. It can't be just about the one you're still clinging to."

His face tightened at her word choice as he glared at her. "It's called loyalty." He spat. "Something a lost toy wouldn't understand."

She glared back at him, clenching her fists. "I'm not the one who's lost." She then turned to all of her friends aside from you and Buzz. "Let's get out of here. We've got a carnival that leaves in the morning."

"You're crazy." Ducky told the cowboy as Bo began to walk away with her friends.

"Bo!" Woody called out sadly.

She didn't bother to look back at him when she said, in an emotionless voice, "Bye, Woody. Good luck with Bonnie."

Buzz slowly approached his friend, placing his hand on the Sheriff's shoulder. "Woody, you did all you could. Time to go home."

"No."

"Woody." You begged as well, reaching out to him with your cracked hand. He always noticed your new cracks. You weren't looking for attention by doing this, though. Instead, you wanted to see if he actually still cared about you since he made no effort to talk to you or even be around you once Bo came back into his life.

However, you were so distraught by his reaction, simply because he didn't react at all. He didn't even look at you! Instead, his gaze was focused just past you, still stuck to Bo as she continued to walk away in the distance. Your face scrunched up in pain as you dropped your hand, voice cracking as you whimpered, "Woody...."