Confronting Woody

7/2/19

Well, what could you say. Things got so much worse in the few days following Andy's party. "Worse" speaking in terms of Woody and the relationship he had with Andy. The kid became....obsessed, one could say. Almost all of his Woody and cowboy stuff was replaced with Buzz and space stuff, everything from his wallpaper to his bed set. He even seemed to replace his red cowboy hat with a makeshift Buzz outfit made from cardboard and crayons.

Woody wasn't taking this well at all. If he wasn't boiling with rage at the sight or even mention of Buzz, he was pretty depressed and going through slight shock. You knew the situation was taking a giant toll on him. After all, Potato Head has even said that Woody had been Andy's favorite since kindergarten, and things changed immediately. That left no room for any gradual adjustment. Woody had to start dealing with it, cold turkey.

But if the cowboy would just relax for a second as you always pleaded for him to do, he would see that Buzz really was a great toy, both in appearance and heart. These past few days, he was helping toys nonstop. He helped Rex perfect his roar, he combed the ratty hair of the Trolls, and he gave a lot of attention to Slinky once Woody completely slipped into his own world of anger and misfortune. Buzz just didn't understand what the cowboy was going through. The Space Ranger still didn't even understand the concept of being a toy! That's where the major disconnection and miscommunication was stemming from, you could see it clearly.

Once you realized that, you snapped out of your thoughts and regained your composure. It was nighttime and Andy was sleeping. Buzz was held securely in his arms while Woody was in the toy chest, where he was moved once the space toy had been brought upstairs. You had to tell Woody what you figured out, and since he was probably asleep or something close to it, he would be calmer than he was in the daytime.

Quietly getting off your platform and carefully making your way off the desk, you opened the lid of the chest very slowly at its hinges were known to be very creaky. You peeked in and saw the cowboy asleep. "Woody." You whispered.

He instantly woke up and looked at you. "Wow, you're a light sleeper." You said, taken off-guard by how fast he woke up.

"(Y/N)? Is everything alright?" He asked, keeping his voice low.

"We really need to talk." You replied. "Please?"

He quietly stepped out of the chest and followed you up onto the desk. You rolled up the blinds slightly so the two of you could see out the window while sitting down. That would just give you something to look out to keep yourself calm and maybe make any awkward situations less awkward.

"So, what's up?" He asked.

"Please don't get angry when you hear this...." You took a deep breath before continuing. "We need to talk about what's going on with you and Buzz."

His soft expression turned to a firm glare. "There's nothing to talk about. This whole thing it just a mistake."

"But it really isn't, Woody." You told him. "And I know you know that, whether you admit it or not."

Woody scoffed and looked out the window. Well, it definitely served its purpose.

You continued to talk when he didn't respond. "Woody, I really want you to listen me. You don't have to agree or respond or anything, but you need to listen. Knowing what I'm about to tell you might be helpful, I hope."

The cowboy's angry face softened the tiniest bit as his eyes moved to watch you from the corner of eyes. At least he showed he was listening, but everything still could've been going in one ear and right out the other. Regardless, he made eye contact even though you ended up turning your head to look out the window to keep yourself calm.

"Buzz really is a great toy. He serves his purpose to Andy and makes him happy just as any toy should, but he also helps out the other toys. I know you saw him helping the Trolls and I know you saw him working with Rex to perfect his roar."

Woody didn't reply, but he also didn't scoff either, even though you were complimenting Buzz just as the other toys had been doing.

Moving on, you said, "For all that he's done, you should maybe respect him more?"

Woody was just about to fly off the handle and object, but you cupped your hand over his mouth. "Please, Woody. Let me explain. Let me finish." He relaxed and slowly removed your hand, then mumbled for you to continue.

"Buzz doesn't think he's doing anything wrong here, and that's because he isn't. What you think he's doing wrong is what he doesn't understand could really be a problem. There's a huge disconnect between you two."

"Disconnect?" Woody asked. "What do you mean?"

"Here's the thing. Buzz doesn't understand the concept of being a toy, he doesn't even understand that he is one yet. And with things being the way I just described, Buzz has no idea what you're going through as a toy that actually understands what it's like to be a toy."

You then looked at Woody right in the eyes. "Then there's you on the other side of this problem. You firmly believe it's a problem because for you, it is. You've been a toy for years now, and a favorite at that. I don't think you're exactly mad at Buzz for being Andy's favorite right now. Instead, you're mad with the fact that Buzz is getting all the attention when he doesn't understand it at all, unlike you."

"I get it, I get it." Woody grumbled.

You let out a resigned sigh, seeing as how the cowboy was still rather grumpy with the conversation. "That's as far as I can go with this, Woody. I truly hate seeing you like this, but I feel bad for Buzz too. I'm sorry for wasting your time, I guess."

Woody looked at you curiously, seeing your face turned to look out the window with a sad expression on your face. "I didn't mean to threaten you or accuse you of anything, so I'm sorry if it came out that way. I'm sure what I had to say was useless and stupid anyway."

"Just please know, Woody.... All I'm saying is that if you just approach Buzz and talk to him, really talk to him, then maybe you can get what you want. I mean, you were nice to me when I came. Why can't you do the same with Buzz?"

Woody's face turned sour when you said that as he stomped to his feet. He glared down at you as he hissed, "You just don't understand, (Y/N). You probably never will. I can and will deal with this myself, so stay out of it. I don't need any of your advice." With that, Woody got off the desk and went back into the chest without another word.

You stayed at the window, trying your best to stay focused on everything outside the window to keep yourself calm. Feeling a gentle hand on your shoulder, you looked up to see Bo standing beside you. She smiled sweetly at you, saying, "Don't be upset, honey. He's just frustrated right now. He didn't mean to take it out on you."

"But it stings so much." You frowned. "I've never seen him so mad, especially not at me."

"I know, but what you did was very kind and brave. You reached out to Woody, and that's all that you can do with this. It takes a heart to reach out to your friends in rough topics like these."

You smiled lightly at her words. "Thanks, Bo. I just hope things work out soon. It's not fair to Buzz and it's not healthy for Woody. If only this could be easier."

"I know, but all we can do is wait patiently for the day those two can make amends." She helped you to your feet as she suggested, "You should head to bed. You just need some time to yourself to relax and recover a bit."

"Alright. Goodnight, Bo, and thanks." You told her as she went back to the stand of her lamp with her sheep.

You got on your platform and sat down, eyeing Buzz sadly as you closed your eyes and drifted off to sleep. You prayed things would get better soon, but you still had a feeling that things weren't the worst they could be quite yet.