The Cowboy's Return

11/3/19

Lotso and his gang arrived late in the morning, releasing your friends only an hour before the kids would come to play. It was sad, really. Locked up like prisoners all night only to then be victims to violent, rampaging toddlers in the day. Some life that was.

Before the kids came, though, Jessie snuck up to check on you. She saw you were still pretty beat up over what had happened with Woody. Regardless, she tried to cheer you up. The cowgirl told you that she was relieved you were safe up here and hadn't been broken during playtime. When you told her it was all because of your telephone friend, she gave him her sincerest thanks. She didn't stay long as the kids would soon be coming and she could easily tell you still wanted to be alone, but she left you with something important before she left.

She handed you Woody's hat, which she had kept with her through the night. "I'm so sorry, (Y/N)." Jessie had told you softly, just as pained as you were. "I hope he's alright. I figured he'd want you to have this, though." You eagerly took it into your hands, but that didn't mean the hurting went away when you looked at it either.

Now, only a short while later, the rigorous playtime was ensuing. You waited for the nightmare to end, still high above everything else alongside your telephone partner in the plastic container of craft supplies. And, the second playtime ended and the toddlers were sent off to lunch, you and he both returned to the top of the castle structure. It was more comfortable outside those supply boxes, but being so doesn't mean it's safer too once the little monsters were running amok.

As the telephone let out a relived sigh and relaxed, you placed yourself by the window once again. You eyed the many kids running around outside, hugging your knees close to your chest. Your head came to rest on your knees sadly, and you still gently held the cowboy's hat.

"Still missing him, huh?" The telephone asked, dropping his red phone next to you.

"I miss him more than you could ever imagine." You mumbled through your frown, glancing at the brown hat in your hands. "This isn't a life at all. We should've just listened to him." As you continued to speak, you thought you heard footsteps approaching, but the room fell silent once you realized it. "He means so much to me. He was just trying to help us, but we were blinded by our longings and desires. I guess we really are selfish, huh?"

"Don't worry yourself too much." The phone told you. "It's all in the past now. It's too late to change what's happened. You'd be better off if you just got over it."

You sighed, clenching your eyes shut as you completely hid your face in your knees. Your grip tightened on the hat. "There's no getting over something like that." Your voice cracked, now very quiet. "Fights like those, you never forget them. They cling to you forever, reminding you of just how terrible of a person you actually are."

The telephone stayed silent. You didn't know why. Perhaps he didn't care about anything you had to say, or he simply didn't know what to say himself. You figured he didn't have the courage to agree with you, that you were the terrible person you were mentioning.

"I wonder if this is how he felt when Bo left." You sighed. "So broken, so empty, so....lost. Almost like nothingness, just completely void of all true emotion. If this is how I feel, then I wonder if I made him feel the same way."

"Why don't you ask?"

"Why? Because he's not here anymore!" Your voice came out harsh, although the true emotion behind it was pure guilt. "And I don't blame him. I'm a horrible friend, saying those the things I did. He'll never come back. I'll never be able to apologize, and I'll never be able to tell him how I've felt these past few years. All of the secrets and emotions left unsaid...." You grip around your legs tightened as you whispered, "Woody was right. Now that we're here, I just want to go home."