The Space Ranger

7/1/19

"Woody, what is that?" You asked from where you sat beside him on the bed. The object in question was the strange Playskool baby monitor that was now sitting on the nightstand.

"This is how we find out what is in those presents." He replied.

"Oh, really? How?"

"You'll find out." He replied with a smirk.

The toys were growing restless as it had been quite a few minutes since the soldiers departed. "Shouldn't they be there by now?" One asked. "What's taking them so long?" Another said.

"Hey, these guys are professionals. They're the best." Woody told the anxious toys. "Come on. They're not lying down on the job."

The toys nodded in silent agreement and gathered the will to be patient for just a little while longer. And sure enough, Sarge's voice came over the monitor only seconds later. "Come in, Mother Bird. This is Alpha Bravo."

"This is it, this is it! Quiet, quiet, quiet, quiet!" Woody hurriedly told the toys so everyone would be able to clearly hear Sarge.

"All right, Andy's opening the first present now." Sarge said, waiting to get a view of the present. You heard Potato Head down on the floor chanting for the present to be a Mrs. Potato Head with his fingers crossed. However, what Sarge instead announced was, "It's a lunch box. We've got a lunch box here."

"A lunch box?" The toys asked in disbelief.

"For lunch!" Slinky laughed heartily.

"Okay, second present. It appears to be... Okay, it's bed sheets." Sarge said.

"Who invited that kid!?" Potato Head asked, his comment causing you to giggle.

Sarge continued reading off the presents, all the way down to the very last present. "It's a big one. It's a.... It's a board game! Repeat: Battleship."

The toys went nuts. You couldn't tell what the true reason was. There was a mix of joyous relief that no new toys had been opened and some excitement over the arrival of Battleship, a new game for the toys to play against one another. Regardless, the toys were happy, so that put you at ease.

"So did I tell you? Huh? Nothin' to worry about." Woody told the toys triumphantly.

"I knew you were right all along, Woody." Slinky smiled. "Never doubted you for a second."

Woody was just about to turn the monitor off before Sarge's alert, distressed voice burst through unexpectedly. "Come in, Mother Bird! Come in, Mother Bird! Mom has pulled a surprise present from the closet!"

The toys panicked as they rushed back over to the nightstand. Woody nearly toppled over in disbelief. Sarge continued hurriedly, "Andy's opening it. He's really excited about this one!" Everyone continued to wait for the reveal of the present, each toy on the edge of their feet or respective seat. "One of the kids is in the way! I can't see! It's a...."

The monitor began to cut out and crackle. "It's a what? What is it!?" Rex panicked, violently tugging at the nightstand's leg in anxious fear. You watched as the monitor fell onto the floor, going dead silent as the batteries came crashing out.

"Oh, ya big lizard! Now we'll never know what it is!" Potato Head snapped.

Hamm joined in, "Way to go, Rex!"

The toys desperately tried to put the batteries back in, but they kept doing so backwards. Woody was yelling from up on the bed with you, telling them the batteries were indeed backward, but the toys didn't listen. Woody eventually jumped off the bed and put them in himself with ease.