A Neglected Cowboy

11/9/19
(A/N: So I went to watch the beginning of the movie to make sure all of my plans would work out, but I ended up watching the entire thing and of course I bawled at the end, so now I'm wide awake.)

No toy had a single clue as to why it happened. Bonnie's toys didn't pay much mind to it, and they really didn't have any need or right to. Andy's toys, however, obviously all felt an obligation to grow concerned about it. For some reason, with no explanation whatsoever, Bonnie had stopped playing with Woody completely. She hadn't touched the poor cowboy in months. And there was never even a reason as to why. Bonnie just....didn't care.

It hurt not just you but every other one of your friends to see how it affected the cowboy. He was a tad frustrated, but he mostly grew depressed and somewhat distant. He hadn't truly smiled in ages, and his eyes always held a grave emptiness. The cowboy just wasn't the same, and you didn't blame him one bit. You knew exactly how it felt to be ignored, betrayed, neglected completely. And it sucked. It was heartbreaking to be in that position, but now, you were seeing that same pain in the eyes of someone else. It was just as saddening to see someone going through that struggle as it had been to actually be in that struggle.

There seemed to be no saving the cowboy, no matter how hard Andy's toys tried. Even you and Buzz couldn't really get him to liven up, which was a first for you. He had always opened up to you! When Bo left....it seemed you were the only one he could turn to. That he would turn to. Dealing with the loss of Bo was one of the the hardest blows he could've suffered from, and the fact that he refused to open up to anyone about this was rather alarming.

But he tried to be more confident today, you could tell. He made it easy to tell. He directly said so. Once Bonnie's mom finished cleaning her kid's bedroom, everyone knew that Bonnie would come right in for playtime. Woody was most anxious for the start of playtime simply because he needed it.

"Ugh! It's getting hot in here!" Mrs. Potato Head grumbled. Until the room was cleaned, everyone was to stay in the closet. This had happened before, and Bonnie's toys were well accustomed to it of course. Yet, for some reason, Andy's toys always had a hard time dealing with it. You didn't blame your friends, though. Andy had left them untouched in his toy chest for years, and that's exactly what it felt like to be in the closer during cleanup.

"Everyone, listen." Dolly pleaded, trying to get your friends to quiet down as they kept complaining and fidgeting. "I thought I told you, when Mom quickly cleans the bedroom like that, expect to be put in the closet."

"Oooooh. How much longer?" Rex whined, shifting the balance of feet from left to right anxiously.

Woody came up and gave the dinosaur a reassuring pat. "Keep it to a dull roar, Rex." He gave Jessie a small hug as she continued to quietly hyperventilate from the darkness of the closer. "Deep breaths, Jessie, deep breaths." When he heard the anxious rattling of Slinky's rear end, he said, "Settle down, Slink. Sit. Good boy!"

"Sheriff, do I need to be worried?" Dolly sent him a tired look.

"No, no. My guys are veterans. They'll hang in there."

"Good. Just keep 'em calm until we get word."

He tilted his hat to her with a firm nod. "Yes, ma'am."

When the cowboy came back over to you and Buzz, the Space Ranger asked nervously, "How are you, uh, feeling about today?"

"Uh, good, good. Yeah, good. I'm good." Woody rambled nervously. You noticed how his eyes were quickly darting around and how he was anxiously tapping his fingers together. He was very uneasy as he waited to see what Bonnie would do for playtime.