02. A Glimpse Into The Future

ARDEN'S POV

It was really cold. I tried to reach for the blankets, but nothing was there. Begrudgingly I opened my eyes to see I had no blanket on me. When I looked for the comforter I turned and saw the boy from last night, with all the blankets, wrapped like a burrito. What was his name again? Dan? Dave? Wait, was it Dean? I was 89% sure that it was Dean.

I reached out, grabbing the blanket, and pulled it off Dean as hard as I could. After a few tugs and some very annoyed grumbles from the blanket hog himself, I finally had something to keep me warm. As I snuggled into the blankets, I felt an arm wrap around me. Dean pulled me to his body and snuggled his face into my back. I immediately froze, red dusting my cheeks.

"Dean? What are you doing?" He didn't respond. I tried calling his name again and I got a soft snore as a reply. Dean was still asleep. I made a note in my head about my new friend. Dean Winchester was defiantly a cuddler. I laid there with Dean cuddled into my back and watched as the dark sky slowly lighten.

In my mind, I felt a tug. A sign that I was going to be pulled into a vision. They came often enough that I knew when I was going to be pulled into one. They started happening a few weeks after my magic started to develop. Sometimes they were about the past and sometimes about the future. If I was being honest they were really annoying and hated when I got them.

I closed my eyes and let the vision pull me in and when I opened my eyes I was confused to see that nothing seemed to change. I was still looking out the window, watching the sky lighten as dawn slowly approached. I was still wrapped in Dean's arms, his head still snuggled into my back. Nothing seemed to change, but as I looked closely, I started to notice details that weren't there before I was pulled in. The walls were a different color. Instead of the old peeling yellow wallpaper, the walls were now painted a navy blue. Then I noticed pictures hanging from them, but the people in the pictures were complete strangers, minus a few that were of my parents and a few with  Uncle Bobby, but he seemed older in the photos. As I looked at the photos I couldn't help, but think that the people in the photos looked familiar, even though they were complete strangers. My attention drew to a particular photo of a man and woman on the hood of a car. The woman looked like a female version of her dad. Did dad have a sister that I didn't know about? no, dad said he was an only child, but who was this girl then?

I looked closer and I couldn't shake the feeling that this was somehow me. In the photo, I looked happy staring at the man with dark blond hair and green eyes. It was the same look that her mom would give her dad and the man gave her the same look her dad would give her mom. It was the look of two people who were completely and hopelessly in love with each other. Then I felt the arms around shift slightly. I moved around to face who I thought was Dean only to be face to face with the man in the photo. His green eyes gazed into mine and he smiled a little, but he seemed like he was in pain. His hand moved up to touch my face. His hand started to tremble and tears were threatening to spill out of his eyes. I felt my hands move to cup his face as I wiped the stubborn tears that started to spill onto his cheeks. 

"How can you love me?" He asked, his voice breaking. I felt my own heart, break as I gazed at the broken man.

"Easily" I heard a mature version of my voice say. I stroked his face trying to calm him down. "I have been in love with you since I was twelve years old. I fell in love with your big selfless heart and that beautiful perverted mind of yours." He chuckled slightly, but it didn't reach his eyes. I felt myself sigh "Dean," 

If I could my eyes would have widened. Dean?! This was Dean. The young boy I met last night was this broken man. What happened to the sweet boy who comforted me? What happens to him to make him like this?

"I want you to listen to me, cause everything I'm about to say is a hundred percent true." I heard myself say.  Dean nodded slightly, hanging on to every word as if it were life or death. "You are not dead inside." He looked like he wanted to argue, but I continued. "Famine was wrong. If you were truly dead inside you wouldn't be hurting. You wouldn't be fighting and you certainly wouldn't be lying in this bed, willingly having this chick flick moment with me." Dean smiled at that. "You are selfless and brave, and protective, passionate, determined, caring, and so much more. That describes someone who is very much alive and don't forget it. And if you do, I'll be there to forcefully remind you."

"How is it that whenever I feel like I'm hanging off the edge, about to fall into oblivion, you somehow pull me back to safety." He pulled me close and kissed my forehead "I love you so much."

I smiled as I snuggled into his chest. "I love you too."

My vision started to blur as I felt the familiar tug pull me out of the vision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I opened my eyes I was back in the present. Feeling a little uncomfortable about the way future Dean looked and held me. I'm eleven for crying out loud. I didn't need to be thinking about that. Speaking on how Dean held me, I shimmed out of present Dean's arms and crawled out of bed. Dean was still passed out and sprawled across the bed. I looked at him closely, thinking about future me's relationship with future Dean. I guess he was cute. I've only known him for less than 24 hours, but he seemed sweet. I left the room and went down the stairs. I saw the man who 'rescued' me, sleeping on the couch. I quietly walked past him and towards the front door. I opened it as quietly as possible, hoping the man wouldn't wake up. I successfully made my way outside. The cold air washed over me as I sat down on the front steps. So many thoughts ran through my head and I had no idea how to handle any of it.

I started sobbing, being careful to do it quietly, so I didn't wake anyone. I didn't know how long I was out there. The cold was welcoming making my body numb. Tears stained my face as I continued to mourn. I was startled when I felt a blanket wrap around me. I looked up seeing Bobby there with a sympathetic smile. He sat down next to me and didn't say a word. He just waited. letting me cry till I couldn't possibly cry anymore. I wrapped the blanket tighter around me. "Thank you," I said quietly

He nodded. "Arden, I feel terrible for asking and I won't ever pressure you to say it again, but what happened?"

 If I could cry more, I would. I didn't want to relive that night, but I knew I had to. Bobby had the right to know.