34. What Is and What Should Never Be (Part 2)

DEAN'S POV

There were multiple moments when we got home where Arden would try to strike up a conversation, but I wasn't in the right headspace for our usual banter... the banter we used to do. Instead, I went to the bathroom and took a shower trying to clear my head, but it seems thirty minutes alone in a clean, working, non-motel shower wasn't going to do the trick, sadly. I then changed into something more comfortable and sat on the couch. As much as I wish I could sit back and relax, I couldn't. Not with my thoughts running rampant.

Sam wasn't Sam. I mean he was, but he wasn't the brother I knew. He wasn't the Sam that super-glued my hand to a beer bottle or spent countless hours in a car listening to the same cassettes for most of our lives. This Sam wasn't my Sam and it kills me to think that this world's version of me ruined our relationship with him. And speaking of me, what the hell was wrong with this wish world's me? Stealing from Sam? Cheating on Arden? How could I be so stupid and let any of that happen? Was I really that shit of a person?

Too wrapped up in my thoughts, I didn't even notice that Arden came into the room, till I felt her hand on my shoulder. I looked up and she was in an oversized Led Zeppelin t-shirt, probably one of mine, and a pair of sweatpants. She smiled as she held out a beer.

"My favorite," I muttered, excepting the beer. The Arden in my world didn't know my favorite beer. When we drank, it would be whatever we could smuggle under Dad and Bobby's noses. We broke up before she or I could buy our own alcohol. "I guess you know me pretty well."

"Afraid so," She said while taking the seat next to me. "You all right? You've been quiet since your talk with Sam."

I hesitated, but one thing in common that this world's Arden and my world's Arden had, is that they both knew how to get me to open up. "Sammy and I... We don't get along."

Arden gave me a sympathetic frown. "You guys don't really spend a lot of time together. You guys were too busy fighting over petty things. I just think you don't know each other all that well." I hummed and she came closer, practically straddling my lap. Her hand threaded through my hair and her fingers traced small circles on the base of my head. "For the record, he doesn't know what he's missing and no offense, but he can be a great bag of dicks sometimes."

She was trying to comfort me, but her words didn't sit right. A great bag of dicks? That sounded like something she would call my dad. Sure she had nicknames for Sam, but they were cute ridiculous names like Floof or Munchkin. Speaking of her nicknames for him, she hasn't once called him by one, not even Sammy.

"Why do you say that?" I asked. "Aren't you guys close?" They had to be close. Arden was always there for Sam.

Arden arched a brow. "Close with Sam? Pfft, you couldn't pay me enough to be alone with the guy. He's such pretentious dick."

My stomach dropped. Arden and Sam weren't close either. At least that explains why she's been so passively bitchy to the guy. How could this happen?... The wish. I wanted a normal life with my family and that's what I got. No matter how twisted the events turned out, it was still normal.

Arden sighed. "I'm assuming that's not what you wanted to hear, but can you blame me? He may be your brother, but that doesn't excuse him for trying to end our relationship."

Wait... "What?"

"I know it was six years ago, but that's not something you can easily forgive." She continued. "I still can't believe he accused you of cheating on me."

My eyes widened, but luckily Arden didn't seem to notice. I did cheat on her... Or this world's version of me did. That stupid son of a bitch. I don't blame Sam for telling, but because of me, their friendship was ruined.