26. 2002

ARDEN'S POV 

(July 6th, 2002)

I pulled up outside the exceedingly large house, joining the lineup of cars already in the driveway. The sound of blaring music and rowdy shouts and laughter of drunk hunters was the only indicator that I was in the right place. Usually, hunters don't live in extravagant homes, but I guess Asa and I were the exception.

I've heard about these hunter gatherings, and Bobby always warned me to steer clear. That it supposedly attracted the wrong crowd. The only gathering I attended, if you could call it that, was my father and mother's wake which was organized by a few of my dad's old hunting buddies. It wasn't the best experience.

I walked up to the front door, mentally prepping myself. This was going to check a lot of firsts for Asa and me. For the past two years, our relationship danced around the friends-with-benefits territory and despite having been invited to his place multiple times, this was a first. I usually blamed my hectic schedule—juggling school, hunting, and assisting family (aka, Bobby and Rufus)—had kept me from driving up to Manitoba, Canada. But here I was, visiting his home, meeting his friends, and even his mom. A lot of firsts. 

The door was unlocked and I stepped inside. Boisterous hunters drinking and talking filled the space. I scanned around trying to find Asa's face, but everywhere I looked was met with strangers. As I ventured further, a throat cleared nearby. I turned, and came face to face— or more like face to chest with a man sporting a majestic ginger beard and bright blue eyes.

"You seem lost," he remarked, with a smile that paired nicely with the standard hunter's assessing gaze.

"Yeah, a bit. I'm trying to track down Asa," I replied.

"He's probably holding up in the kitchen," He suggested kindly, extending his hand. "I'm Bucky Sims,"

"Arden Queen," I responded, shaking his hand.

Bucky's eyes widened at the mention of my name. "Arden? You're Arden? First off, let me say you're way out of Asa's league, " He chuckled, giving me an appreciative glance. "Secondly, it's great to finally match a face to the name. He talks about you constantly, you know. Some of us were taking bets to see if he made you up"

His candidness caught me a bit off guard. I swear I could feel my face heat up, but I smiled despite it. "Glad to know I'm real, I was beginning to wonder myself. So, who won that bet?"

"No one, we all thought Asa was lying. Can't believe he actually has a girlfriend."

"Oh, we're not dating. We haven't put a label on what we are." I clarified quickly, I wasn't a fan of assumptions.

"Really?" Bucky seemed puzzled. "Asa's been flying solo for well over a year. I figured it was because he was seeing you." 

If my face wasn't red before it certainly was now. "Um..."

"Come on, I'll take you to him," Bucky interrupted, steering me through the crowd until we reached the kitchen where Asa was grinning while helping an older woman prepare food.

"Hey, Asa, look who I found!" Bucky called out.

Asa's smile widened as he caught sight of me standing next to the towering ginger.

"Hey there, Pretty Boy," I teased with a grin.

A few people who were listening laughed at Asa's expense, including Bucky and the older woman as Asa rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed by the nickname.

"Oh, you're merciless, Whiskey Girl." He quipped, making his way over to me. Before I could retort he planted an unexpected, but not unwelcomed peck on my lips.