The pit

The queen escorted by her guards and her sister Arya,the Princess walked outside the Castle Black. On the pit were gathered up the men. Every single one of them and the maesters where awaiting in the balcony where Lord Commander sits. Sansa took the seat and Arya stood on her side. Maester Leith came up first.
"Your Grace,do you want me to read the names?"

"No, maester Leith. Thank you. I'll take it." She let him know and the old man deliver her the list with the names. Searching carefully the catalogue she noticed two names without surnames origins or any other information.
"James. Former commander of the Night's Watch." She announced out loud.

"Your Grace," he turned at her with motionless expression in his face.

"As the duel requires you'll fight with one of the other men. Whoever still stands at end will be ranger and the other will be or remain steward. You'll all fight in duos." She announced and beckon James to approach and prepare.

"Very well," he bowed his head  and went downstairs, looking up at her. "What kind of weapons will we use, Your Grace? Sword, daggers, crossbow, bow? Or just fists?" He asked her, looking at weapons prepared on the side.

"No weapons for start. Hands will be the only thing you can use." She answered without watching as her eyes were wandering around the list. "Ollie." She announced after a while and rose her face to see James reaction and not the young girl.

He could swear, that blood stop floating in his veins and froze inside. Why did she do that? To test him? Was it Jon, who talked to her? Arya? Was it this her own decision?

Elaine didn't look up at all, she  was standing aside amongst other men, who stepped back. She didn't say a word, just slowly walked toward James.

"Sansa, sister, a word, please," Arya with urgency in her voice almost whispered. Unaware of her decision, unaware of Queen being familiar with gender of young person.

"Not now sister." She said quietly holding her eyes on James. He looked pale and shuttered tho he was trying a lot to remain calm. "Can the man with the name Ollie come forward, please?" She announced standing up.

Elaine, who meanwhile stopped next to James closed her eyes. "En'ca minne, I will protect you. Have no fear." She heard voice of her brother inside her head and once she felt glow and warmth coming from a spell vanishing, she opened her grey blue eyes and took few steps forward. She looked up, staring Sansa straigth to her eyes. In silence.

Jon heart was beating fast and in desperation he took a step forward too.

"I'll do it. I volunteer to take Ollie's place and fight with the former commander." He said broadly raising his glare on Sansa. So he knows too,she nod thoughtfully to herself.
"Can you please let me talk at last?" She said sternly watching back at Jon who low his face.

"Ollie!" She turns to Elaine. "The rules of North requires you to follow the commands of your superiors and that is the commander to be chosen and me as Queen of North. So my order for you is to deliver your weapons and black coat and follow me back to Winterfell. You'll continue there your service until you'll be able to hold properly a sword." Jon turn confused to see James. He couldn't understand,he already talked to her? When?