Scene One VI

"We need to split up and search for her," I say. "Or at the very least, search for signs of where she took a current. In that case, come find me and I'll fetch her myself."

Finally, Colleen seems to remember her place, and she nods. "Yes, your highness. But perhaps we can do this in pairs- in case a more nefarious scheme is at hand."

My stomach churns at the thought I hadn't previously allowed myself to consider. Atlantis has no enemies abroad, since we are unknown to the world above, and it is hard to imagine that one of my own citizens would seek to cause my baby sister harm. But I am not naive enough to think that it is impossible.

I sigh, my pride submitting to my self-defense. "You're right. I'll take Priscilla, and you take-"

Before I could finish my words, though, Lena's scream stretched across the ocean to me.

I don't have to say a word- which is fortunate, since I wasn't going to take the time to. We all take off swimming toward the source of the scream.

As I focus on forcing my body into its greatest speed, I don't have time to think, to ponder what Lena's danger might be- or what the consequences could be if we fail to reach her in time. But my heart still manages to gasp out a desperate plea of its own. Please, Creator of the oceans, grant me back my sister.

And though I knew that even I, Queen of Atlantis, was not equal to demand any sort of bargain from the One Whose words silenced the seas at His will, if He had offered right then and there to take my soul to spare my sister's, I would have consented.

There are so many horrors worse than death.

The waters around me begin to spin, and I wonder if it's Lena's doing. She has an affect on the elements around her when she's very upset.

"It's okay, Lena baby!" I call. "We're coming. Just stay where you are!"

The speed of the water gets worse, though, and I'm swimming blind. I don't even know if I'm swimming straight anymore.

But I keep swimming all the same. "Lena, call out to me!"

Somehow, despite the thunderous sound of the whirlwind-like waters swirling around me, I hear her frail voice, hoarse from screaming.

"Save me! She got me! She wants to get you, too!"

I don't have time to analyze my baby sister's words of warning, though, because just then, a rock flied through the water and that's the last thing I see.

-Banner by CannibalisticNecro

-Signature by -krystallite-krystallite