Scene Two IV

My eyes widen, and the curse around my voice is strong to keep my screams in-audible.

But seeking compassion from Cerce is useless. So I turn my gaze to Lena's, across the circle from me. I desperately hope she can get the message in my eyes.

I will find my way to her, wherever and whenever she is sent, and I will bring her home.

Lena opens her mouth, her baby cheeks still stained by her tears. But before she can speak, the weeds around her thrust her into the whirlpool.

It happens so suddenly, it takes me several seconds to realize she's gone.

Cerce turns to gloat in my face.

So I almost don't see it when Priscilla gets tossed in next. I gasp, and then Lian. Calypso turns slightly when she gets forced in, but she isn't fast enough to escape the whirlpool. Anastasia is gone next.

Desperately, I reach to grasp Elspeth's hand. I touch it for a moment.

And then she's gone before I can even exhale.

I turn to to Cerce, ready for my turn.

But she's turned from me, and is frowning at the two guards. "I forgot about you two."

Her minion clears his throat. "Since they aren't part of your original plan, perhaps we could just release them? Then the king would know what you've done."

I blink at the man. What is his game?

Cerce studies him, too, before turning to study the guards.

"You will pay for your crimes," Colleen hisses.

Fabio clenches his fists. "I will personally see to it myself."

Cerce yawns. "All right, you've had your chance."

Then, suddenly, the guards are gone, too.

Then Cerce turns to me and smiles. "Oh, no, did I leave the firstborn for last? Shame on me."

I purse my lips, thinking of all the things I would say to her if only I could as I brace myself for the launch.

But it doesn't happen immediately.

And then it does, and I'm flying through the ocean before being swallowed into it.

Then I feel a time-current take hold of me, and before I have a chance to take control of it, I black out.