Scene Twenty-Nine

"So, a surprise birthday party, huh?" Brandon asks as we stroll hand-in-hand on the beach.

"Yes, but don't tell them I told you." Looking over Brandon's shoulder, I wave back toward where Cecilia is unhappily watching us, the Bens waiting to follow her orders to put everything together once the guest of honor is out of view.

Brandon chuckles softly, and the sound feels like warm water somehow flowing in my veins. "I somehow doubt they'd believe me if I said that, anyway."

Despite all my queenly training, a snicker escapes my lips.

Brandon stops walking and turns to just stare at me.

I blink. "What?"

He shakes his head, a look of wonder on his face. "It's just... you have the most beautiful laugh."

"Oh..." All my training hits me on the head at once like strong wave and I remember how to take a compliment graciously. "Thank you. You have a lovely smile yourself."

Brandon smirks at me. "'Lovely,' huh? I must be doing something wrong, then."

Leaning forward, I press my lips to his smile for the briefest of moments before pulling away. "No, I believe you're doing everything just right."

The look in Brandon's eyes as he studies me almost knocks me over, which is strange. Under the sea, everyone except my family and closest servants looked at me with the same sort of awe and curiosity I see in Brandon's expression now. But on him, it's different. Maybe because it's been so long since I've been seen like that.

Or maybe just because it's him.

-Signature by -krystalite