Scene Twenty-Seven II

Blowing his hair off his forehead, Brandon sinks into the bed. "Wow. That's insane. None of this makes sense. None of this is real." He stares at me. "You had a mermaid tail! They don't even exist?"

"So, I'm just a figment of your imagination?"

Brandon rubs his temple. "No, I suppose that doesn't make sense either."

I sit down beside him, one hand clutching my towel together, and my other going to touch his shoulder in a way that I hope will ground him, or at least comfort him. "I am real. And so is my... C word. And my legacy. Which I must return to."

"Wait..." Brandon turns to me, his eyes still wide. "You want to leave?"

"My sisters were also... C worded. I need to rescue them." I consider adding the bit about being queen of the sea, but I figure he's already had enough shock for one day.

Brandon nods slowly. "And you're sisters... they're also mermaids?"

"Yes. Though, ocean only knows what they've become now. I didn't used to be able to..." I gesture toward my legs.

He follows my gesture and stares at my human appendages. "So, what exactly has to happen to break the spell or curse or whatever this is?"

"It's a complicated... thing. Some aspects are... taken care of by, well, what we were doing before I started being able to talk again. But it's true... you know that will eventually overcome the... issue."

Brandon nods slowly, turning back to my face again. "Okay... so you're saying that it's just like the fairytales, and it's..." He furrows his brows. "True love's kiss?"

"Indeed."

"And you're saying that my kisses have been breaking this curse?"

"It certainly hasn't been James's."

Brandon mops some mock sweat from his brow. "Well, that's a relief. Things sure would be awkward if it were."

I smile to see a bit of Brandon shining through the shock.

Then his expression takes a thoughtful tone. "So, if true love's kiss makes the curse break little by little, then what would a full-on make-out session accomplish?"

"I'm not sure. What is a make-out session, exactly?"

"This." Brandon reaches forward and cups my chin gently with one hand. The other trails through my wet hair before coming around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"Oh?" I whisper.

"Indeed."

Then Brandon's lip collides with mine, kissing roughly before he finds the rhythm that binds us, as though our heartbeats are in sync with each other's' and the waves of the sea. Then he slows, kissing me tenderly, masterfully.

Until the waves start to slam harder, a storm brewing. But not a bad one.

I find myself pushing my newly transformed legs so that I'm situated on Brandon's lap as the kiss reverts to its passionate beginning, only with greater power. Might. Maturity.

"Astrid," he moans against my skin as his lips detour from mine to trail down my neck. He buries his face in my collarbone. "I love you."

The words jerk me into action, and I pull away, my hand coming to make sure my towel doesn't droop too much more.

"Y-you love me?"

Brandon stares at me, looking as startled as I feel, both from the sudden break in the kiss and the world 'love' being thrown around.

"I-I guess I do. I mean, you are the most interesting, beautiful woman I've ever met. And though I've only known you a matter of days, but the bond of friendship we share is greater than those who I've known for years. And, well, I..." Brandon swallows hard. "I do think I love you."

I pull away, feeling a lightness enter my being that even the happy tingles of his words and touch can't penetrate. "I thank you for your kindness."

Then I turn away from him and make my way to the door.

"Wait!" Brandon calls, jumping off the bed and reaching for me. "Where are you going?"

"You've broken the curse!" I call, breaking into a run as the thought of the ocean and my sisters and freedom fills me. "I'm going home!"

-Signature by @-krystalite