Scene Twenty-Six II: Brandon

"Brandon, we need to talk."

My back stiffens at the grating voice, and I turn to find Cecilia standing in my doorway.

Pushing away from the post, Cecilia moves through the shadows toward me. "I don't think Astrid is who she says she is."

Planting myself between the woman in question and the girl who broke my heart, I cross my arms. "Oh? I just figured it was a female thing to hide things from the men in their lives."

Even in the darkness, I can make out Cecilia's wince. "I was stupid, okay? I messed up. I hurt you, and I'm sorry."

"You're sorry, but you don't think I should move on with Astrid?"

Cecilia hugs herself, making her seem far more fragile and vulnerable than she really is. "It's not that. I know we crashed and burned as a couple, but aren't we still friends?"

I press my lips together into a thin line and neither conform nor deny the accusation brought before me.

"So..." Cecilia glances past me and nods at Astrid. "How long have you known her? Really?"

"Long enough to know her heart," I whisper. But not long enough to know how to hear what's on it in so many words.

Cecilia sniffs, then nods. "As long as you're so sure."

With a spin, she turns and struts away.

I resist the urge to slam the door shut behind her.

The moment the door much more quietly clicks shut, I pick up on a sniffling behind me.

"Astrid?" Wondering how much she heard, I go to her side and find her muffling her tears into my pillow.

She doesn't look up when I speak to her, and I find myself gently scooping her into my arms. "Astrid, what's wrong? You can tell me."

Astrid shakes her head into my shirt, effectively soaking it with her tears. But I can't seem to find the presence of mind to care; not in the face of such grief.

"I... can't," Astrid gasps. "I try... But I... can't!"

Pushing further up my bed, I pull Astrid closer to my chest and begin to rock her back and forth, back and forth. Finally, her tears subside, and her breathing becomes shallow.

Gently, I lay Astrid down on my bed. She makes a small murmur, and then curls up beside me. Not sure how to get away without waking her and risking another crying fest, I ease into the mattress and lay beside the most mysterious woman I've ever met.

But I fully intend to solve each of those mysteries with her.

-Signature by -krystallite