Scene Thirty-Two

A ball of light and colors dances the same across the room filled with music from beyond, inspiring us to mimic the ball and dance. Or, at least, I assume that's what the others are doing.

Studying the obnoxious way Cecilia is contorting her body, I wonder if I should imitate it, but it seems like spitting in the face of the graceful movements of my land. But would I even be able to imitate those movements without the ocean to be part of my dance? With these alien feet on my body?

And would Brandon find that as attractive as he seems to find Cecilia's movements?

My musings are cut off when Ben Two grasps my hand and pulls me to the floor. "Come on, Astrid. Let's show those uptights how it's done."

Since I'm not sure how it's done, I decide to fall back on my queenly training. Praying for the best. I raise my hands above my head, wishing the waves could make my hair accompany my movements, as I gently sway my body back and forth, starting from my legs and moving up to my hands, then back down.

Ben Two whistles low and loud. "Now that's how it's done, girl."

"Okay, okay." Brandon shoves Ben Two out of the way. "Don't tell me another one of my buddies is trying to steal my girl."

"Me? Never. I have some standards." Ben Two winks at me. "Though, I'm not against breaking some rules."

Brandon shakes his head at him, places his hands around my waist, and pulls me away.

I ignore the thrill that races through my body at his touch. I'm only feeling this way because circumstances are putting us so close together outside of my usual environment. I'm surely not feeling real things for him.

But maybe if I'm feeling this already, so is he.

Gripping Brandon's shoulders, I pull myself closer and press my body against his. His eyes widen, but I use my grip on his back to help move his body in a merfolk sway.

Brandon swallows hard, the bulge of this throat going up and down. Then his gaze goes over my head and lands on Cecilia. A moment later, he leans his head into the crook of my neck as we continue to sway.

"If looks could kill..." he whispers.

"I'd be assassinated?" I ask.

"Indeed."

"Well, that wouldn't do." Brandon sweeps me into a spin away from Cecilia and further into the room. "I'll have to shield you with my body."

"Very good," I say. "I hereby nominate you for my chief bodyguard." Since my old ones were lost at land in a curse as well.

A curse to fall in love with the first mortal they lay eyes on. But they love each other.

I feel like a fist hits me in my gut and almost stoop over. Will they ever be able to see each other again? Not without betraying each other...

"Astrid, are you all right?"

Brandon has stopped dancing, and is now holding me steady, concern etched in his face.

I nod mutely, because I can't bring myself to verbalize a lie at this present moment.

He continues to study me, like he's not sure I'm being truthful. His face slowly approaches mine.

"Astrid?" he whispers, his breath hot on my face.

"Yes?" I whisper back.

"Is it all right if I kiss you now?"

Once again, I nod.

-Signature by