Scene Twenty-Five (Brandon)

"Brandon, wake up."

Groaning, I peel one eye open to find myself looking up at James. "What?"

"Astrid is awake."

I don't remember a whole lot just now, but I remember that's a good thing.

Jumping out of the chair I somehow fell asleep in, I glance around the hospital halls, the sterile smell bringing all my memories of last night flooding back.

Once I remember where Astrid's room was, I rush toward it.

A nurse scolds me, and I slow my pace as I walk inside.

Astrid turns her head, her expression somehow both weak and strong. Weak with vulnerability. Strong with anger.

I stutter to a stop at the base of her bed. "Astrid, are you all right?"

Glaring, Astrid plucks at the sleeve of her hospital gown. "What am I wearing? Who put me in this flimsy garment?"

Throwing my hands out, I give her my best innocent expression. "It wasn't me, I swear."

"Excellent. I would hate to have executed you."

Blinking, I try to figure out what to make of that comment.

And Astrid uses my hesitation to paste a fierce expression on her face, toss her sheets aside, and stumble out of her bed.

I hasten to catch her fall. "Careful, there. We still don't know what's wrong with you-"

Astrid pulls away and lifts herself to her full height. "There is nothing wrong with me."

"Well, I hope not, but the doctors are going to check just to make sure."

"They will check nothing!" Astrid demands, trying to move past me. "I will make sure of it-"

Moving to block her with my body, I clutch her waist, my left hand skimming her back.

I clear my throat. "We can talk about that later. But perhaps you'd rather be dressed properly for that?"

Astrid seems to sense the breeze, and glances behind her. Then she suddenly pulls away and dives back into the bed before tugging the sheet up to her chin.

Fighting the urge to laugh, I take a moment to compose myself.

My attempts seem to be in vain, because Astrid glares at me as she crosses her arms over her chest. "Tell your physicians that I do not want to be checked out. I am fine. I just want to go home." Her face breaks, and for perhaps the first time in my knowing Astrid, she seems to be about to lose her composure.

" Her face breaks, and for perhaps the first time in my knowing Astrid, she seems to be about to lose her composure

-Signature by @-krystalite