Scene Sixteen II

I wade into the ocean, a strange mixture of cool and warm wash over my feet as my old home laps at my ankles.

Then something hot spikes up my legs.

Losing my balance, I crumble into the water face-first.

Water enters my lungs that have lost the ability to breathe it, and I desperately try to push myself up onto my hands and knees.

The queen of the waves will not die in the shallows! It cannot be so!

But when I try to balance myself on my knees, I find that they're no longer there.

I gasp, but this time when the water flows in, I breathe it like air again. Then I flip over and see that instead of legs protruding from beneath my skirt, my mermaid tail is there instead.

Breathing more easily than I have all day, I smile. I feel like myself again.

Now to see if my abilities are still mine.

Diving deep beneath the waves, I feel the power of the water around me. But I don't feel my matching power.

Panic grips me, but I keep swimming, keep searching for the currents to speak to me.

It is silent as the dead.

But I'm persistent, so I keep swimming, keep searching, keep screaming out to the Creator of the Oceans to assist me. Silence is my only answer.

I don't remember returning to land, or my fin fading away to legs, or even changing back into my earth clothes.

All I can think about is the same resounding words in my head.

I'm alone.

My sisters need me.

I'll do whatever it takes.

-Signature by 

-Signature by