thirty - five

Rosalie laid on a field of grass as rain poured around her. Her eyes flickered open to see a large tree hanging over her. Slowly, the young witch sat up and shivered as the wind blew past. She was not dressed to be out in the cold. Her eyes scanned her surroundings, but she could not see far. It was dark, darker than usual during the night; no light seemed to shine from anywhere. Her other senses heightened. The only thing she could hear was the creaking of the tree, the howling of the wind and the pitter-patter of the rain. With each breath she took, she watched it become mist in seconds. Another blow of the wind made her shudder. Where was she?

 Calmy, Rosalie rose from the floor. Her hands were feeling the wet grass as she pushed herself up and breathed in the fresh air; the chill freezing her nose, but she could still smell the must that the rain caused. Cautiously the redhead took a step forward, approaching the edge of the tree line. Closer she got, more she could see the heavy rain that loomed in the shadow. Heavy droplets fell onto the grass and leaves, drowning them hit by hit.

Suddenly, in the distance, Rosalie saw a faint glow. Her eyes squinted as she tried to get a better look, not wanting to step out in the rain. But as time went by, the glow became more prominent, and she found herself stepping backwards, not feeling comfortable with the speed at which it was approaching. However, as it got closer, the light started to look like something, it was taking a form that the young witch could not make out from afar, as it advanced she could see what it was. It was an animal. A bright, dazzling silver animal which made the whole world around her colourful. The silvery animal resembled a fox, and it stood tall, its ears perked up as it watched Rosalie.

The rain came to a sudden stop. The atmosphere grew tense as the wind whistled through the branches. The witch and the fox watched each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. Rosalie had the urge to touch it, but she fought her hand to stay down. Swifty, the fox, turned and ran off into the distance. For a moment she was frozen still. Unsure of what to do. But as its range increased, and the darkness slowly crept back, she knew what she had to do. Quickly her legs bolted in the same direction as the fox. It had gotten so far she could not see what was underneath her feet anymore. She hoped it was nothing that could make her trip.

The foxes glow was getting smaller and smaller as Rosalie's breath got louder and louder. With each step, she would slip, and with each blink, she would see her only hope fading. Regardless, she never gave up. Her legs moved as fast as they could as she tried her best to close the gap. She wished she could see around her. She had no idea where she was.

Suddenly the fox stopped; it grew larger as Rosalie got closer. She slowed down when she realised, giving herself a moment to catch her breath. With every deep breath, the young woman took a step closer; careful of her surroundings. As the faint glow showed more of Rosalie surroundings, she started to realise she was in a forest. Trees towered over her and roots stuck out from the wet soil. She could now hear the squelching sound from the mud with each step she took.

Unexpectedly, the redhead quickly found herself in a clearing. The fox stood in the middle of the clearing, waiting for to her proceed. However, something in her stomach told her to stop. Her eyes scanned the area, ensuring to lower her body to try to conceal herself from prying eyes. The light emitted from the fox started to dim; the darkness was creeping back again. Rosalie took a sharp breath as her eyes glanced back to the silver fox, who was slowing disappearing. It's once bright glow was now dim. Its ears lowered and head down.

"No, wait!" Rosalie called, revealing herself and running to the figure. "Don't go! Please!" She begged, but as she got closer, the less of the creature she could see. "Please!" However, it was too late. Now she stood in the middle of the clearing in the pitch black. "Come back! Please!" She yelled, turning frantically as she tried to find any source of light. Rosalie dropped to the floor heaving. She was exhausted and now blind to everything around her.