Prologue*

A navy blanket of sky draped over the stone walls and Quidditch fields of Hogwarts castle. But flickering candles and starlight illuminated through the headmaster's window, basking his office with a warm glow.

"Severus," Albus Dumbledore's eyes were soft and understanding, though locked onto his fellow professors own with great strength. "the girl will soon be eleven years old... though I fear it is still not the time."

Professor Severus Snape's face twisted with horror at the words of the headmaster. "What do you mean it is still not the time?" His voice was grave yet remained respectful.

"She must remain with her brother. The boy is still not old enough, they must be kept together."

Severus snapped. "Forget the boy, he-"

"We cannot, Severus." Albus interrupted. "For he is just as important as her."

Severus breathed deep, calming his frustration. He spoke in a quiet voice. "She will not be able to control her magic for another four years, Albus," his eyes flicked back to the headmaster. "I have been watching her. If she doesn't receive proper training her magic will grow out of our control. She doesn't know what she is doing. She is powerful. Just like her mother..."

Albus' lip twitched into a smile. "So you have been keeping an eye on her?"

Severus scoffed. "Of course I have."

There was a silence. A level of unspoken understanding sat heavy between the two wizards. Severus need not voice his emotions for them to be so obvious to Albus. His care laced the lines on his face.

Albus broke the silence. "She resembles Lily..."

The words hung in the air. Severus sighed softly. "Yes, she does."

With that he made his way to exit Albus' office, his robes hanging heavy behind him.

"Severus,"

Severus paused at the door as Albus spoke one last time. "I know that you care for the girl. But please believe me when I tell you that she will do better to stay with her brother- though I know you're not fond of him.

"The girl is strong. I have no doubt that she understands more than even we realise. She will be safe."