•1•

"Maia...!" Maia startled, nearly dropping her painting of a butterfly she had spent so much time on, in her haste to scramble up off her bedroom floor to follow her Noona's voice.
She walked down the stairs to see her Noona at the front door with Alpha Vin.
A young Alpha only in his seventies, though he looked barely over twenty.
His mate was beside him, Luna Hailey. A sweet tall woman with deep black hair and soothing chocolate eyes.

"Ah...! Hi Alpha, Hi Luna" Maia greeted with a happy smile as she raced down the stairs, nearly tripping on the length of her dress to jump into their arms in a warm familiar hug.

The relaxing scent of Chamomile and Jasmine entered her nose, all Hailey.
Alpha Vin smelled like burnt popcorn, and always had her pursing her lips to avoid scoring him.

"Hi Maia, we just came by to see you, and ask if you wanted to come to the ball tonight...?" Hailey fondly pet Maia's fluffy and impossibly long  brown locks. Though she always mused it was her grandmother's deep love for caring for Maia's hair, as well as how short Maia was, which made it appear even longer.
It stopped mid thigh on the girl, and was thick but incredibly soft.
She envied her hair greatly.

Maia stared up at her Luna apprehensively.

Maia has never liked those types of events. Full of things she wasn't allowed to touch, eat, or do.
She could never sit still long enough.

She shook her head. She had a rose garden to tend to...!

Hailey smiled sadly.
Most wolves were able to find their mate at sixteen, but with how coddled and hidden Maia was, she worried if the sweet child would ever get to find her mate.
Wolves lived longer and happier when they found their other half.

Maia's mate wasn't in the pack.
How many warriors went home dejected because she wasn't their own...? Hailey figured it was a lot more than a few who had their sight on the small adorable girl hidden away. Untainted and blind to so much though, Hailey worried her actual mate might abuse such a blessing.
Hailey was mated into the pack, a neighboring Alpha's daughter brought in when she was in her twenties and wild.

Now she had three pups, and was even there when Maia was born.

And when Maia nearly lost everything. Now only her grandmother is left.
She cared for Maia like a mother might.

"That's alright pup, next year then?" Alpha Vin asked hopefully.
Maia shyly nodded, before she rushed off to watch a few shows on the tv.
The cartoons always amused and kept Maia distracted, so her grandmother had plenty of time to complete any tasks she needed to.

"I'm worried about her Noona- maybe she could spend a few more nights with me and Hailey? So she has a little more exposure?" Vin offered, but Noona shook her head.

"Maybe when I'm dead... but you know how lonely I get. Maia is my little sunshine" she chuckled, fondling staring off at where she had run off.

"You could always come live with us...." Hailey trailed off worriedly.
Noona shook her head again.

"Maybe if this child meets her mate before I return to the Moon Goddess... I still have to protect this home" She nodded.

The two left the elderly woman and young girl for now.
They had a ball to attend and help run.

Hailey held her mate's hand as they left the secluded cottage belonging to the still lively Great Aunt Noona- once a great healer and pack medic.
Vin lifted her creamy dark skin to his lips.
His deep green eyes sparkled in happiness and adoration as they stared at his gorgeous partner.

Hailey chuckled, amused at his romantics she never could get used to. The man would appear randomly with a bouquet of roses stolen from a certain garden, and proclaim "How about a fourth?"
Exactly how she ended up with the first three...
She shook her head, but Vin caught the twitch of her soft full lips.
He missed nothing about his woman.

Not even when she thinks she is being sly and ordering his Christmas presents under a 'hidden' debit card... so he couldn't sneak a peak due to his pesky nature.

"Will she really be alright?" Hailey couldn't help but remember the child she had looked after alongside Noona.
Maia was family.
She worried though, as did her mate, about what the future might hold for a werewolf so unprepared for their future.

"The moon goddess shall not disappoint... or do you think she made a mistake in our pairing? I dared not say anything... but I believe I was secretly sent from her side because she could not find a worthy enough mate on earth to suit you and-"

Hailey burst into laughter, amazed at how thick skinned he could be!
Surely he was right though, the moon goddess makes no mistakes.

Right?