Prologue

"Taylor Alexis Aaron. William James Adams. Rebecca Kelly Affet."

Two more, just two more. Come on, Carter hold it together.

"Henry George Aldridge. Charlie Lucas Amsted."

Okay, breathe. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exha-

"Carter Nichole Anderson." Now walk. Don't trip on your robe, oh god please don't trip. You don't want that to be the last impression you give people. Hopefully my hands aren't sweaty, that'd be kind of gross.

"Congratulations, Carter. You've made it," my principle shook my hand and moved my cap's tassel to the opposite side after placing that very valuable piece of paper in my hands. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to smile any bigger than I already was. "Thank you."

"Carter, honey, I'm so proud of you." My mom greeted me with open arms and wrapped them around me as soon as we made contact.

"Thanks Mum." I smiled into her shoulder.

"So? Let me see it!" I passed her the diploma that I had been holding close to me. "Goodness, Carter, it's so beautiful," she commented.

"Careful mum, it's not a baby," I chuckled.

"I'd certainly hope not," she replied jokingly.

"Carter!" I twisted my body around with my cap's tassel not failing to hit me in the face. With a grunt I took the thing off my head as I watched my best friend run towards me. "We did it! Can you believe it? We graduated high school!"

"Yeah. We did, didn't we?" She laughed as she hugged me, both of us beaming with pride.

"Okay, picture time!"

"Ugh Mum. No!"

"Carter, yes. It's your graduation day for god sakes. Now smile!" She pulled out her camera and snapped a few photos of Shay and I. Five million (or close to it) pictures later Shay looked over at me with mischief written all over her face. "What? I don't have anything on my face, do I? Because I really don't want to have to retake all those pictures." I mumbled.

"No, no, your face is fine," I breathed out a sign of relief, "but I have something to tell you. Guess what?"

"Oh no."

"Oh yes. We are going on vacation." If it was possible, even more teeth were shown.

"What do you mean by we and vacation, exactly?" I asked wearily.

"I mean you and I in my parents beach house. All. Summer. Long." She jumped up and down clapping like a deranged seal.

"You're joking, right?"

There's no way my mum would let me go...

"Nope. I asked your mum months ago and she agreed as long as you come home often next year!"

"Heck yes! Deal, deal, and deal!"

Welcome to summer vacation, Carter. I hope you enjoy your stay.

-------------------
CAST:

Britt Robertson as Carter Anderson

Dylan O'Brien as Mason Craft

Selena Gomez as Shay Porter

Douglas Booth as Cameron O'Keefe

One Direction as Themselves

A/N:

Hello everyone! This is just a little prologue for The Bet, I hope you enjoyed it. It gives a nice set up for the beginning of the story.

Thank you so much for reading it means a lot!