21 - Fate

Fate is a strange thing. Just take a moment to think about it for a second. If you weren't at that certain place at that certain time, do you think you would be where you are now? How different would your life be if that one thing didn't happen?

Those are the kinds of questions that are swarming inside my head as I'm walking along the beach beside Niall...while it's pouring rain. "Hey, Niall?" He lets out a hum before I continue, "do you believe in fate?"

Neither of us talk for a few moments and then his accent breaks the silence. "I believe that if something is meant to happen to you it will, so I suppose I do. To a certain extent, though, I don't."

"Why not?" I questioned.

"I'm not sure, honestly. I've asked myself that same question all the time. I think it's fate that us five boys got to our auditions and were put in a band, but I don't think it's fate that we can all sing" he shrugged his shoulders, brushing it off like it was no big deal.

"Do you think it's fate that you're here now?" I tried a different angle.

"Maybe," Niall sighed and kept walking, no one saying another word for at least two minutes. The rain had died down from a torrential downpour to a light rain, finally letting us see more that a foot in front of us.

I couldn't help but think about his answer. Maybe was such a broad answer and he didn't elaborate at all.

Carter don't do it. Don't ask. Let him be.

"What do you mean by 'maybe'?" Damn my conscience. He let out another loud sigh. Look at what you've done now. "Never mind, forget I asked. You don't have to answer that," I rushed out.

"I think fate only works if it leads you to something that will change you forever. It has to be irreversible, one event that changes your life." His answer sounded like it was something he'd been thinking about for a while.

"Which is why you think it's fate you were put into a band with the four of them," I said.

"Exactly. And it's also the reason I said maybe to our bus breaking down and being here now. I don't know if it'll change me forever or not," he whispered the last part to himself and I wasn't sure if I was meant to hear it or not. Instead of bothering him on the topic even more, I asked another question, "do you wanna head back soon? I'm craving some ice cream."

He chuckled. "I'm in the mood for some Oreo's," he looked down at me with a mischievous smile. I smacked his arm, "watch it, Horan."

I wasn't able to take even five steps back towards the house before Niall threw me over his shoulder. "Why must you always do this?" I said as I flailed violently trying to break out of his iron grip around my legs.

"Because you're small and easy to pick up." I could just hear him smiling.

"That's not fair. You're using my shortness to your advantage and I demand you put me down," I tried.

"Nope."

"Screw you, Horan."

"Wouldn't you like to." I gasped at his retorted answer. "Niall!" He chuckled before lightening his grip up a bit, finally allowing my legs to move in the slightest. "You dirty minded Lucky Charm," I shook my head that, sadly, was still upside-down dangling behind his back.

"You should learn to get comfortable in that position, I think I like holding you this way," he teased.

"I hate you," I huffed in defeat.

"You haven't seen nothing yet." Before I could ask what he meant by that, he started to run into the ocean. "Don't do it!" I shouted. "Niall, no!" My pleads were quickly silenced as he sunk both of us down underwater. Luckily he had let me go, letting me to once again be independent. Once I resurfaced I was met with a grinning Niall. "You look like a drowned rat."

"You kind soul," I stuck my tongue out at him before swimming back to shore. My clothes were now completely soaked, the rain spared some areas but now it was all just drenched. I looked back to find Niall still struggling to get out of the water. I laughed before walking back towards the house. I heard him yell, "wait!" But I wasn't waiting for someone who had just thrown, or carried, me into the ocean despite my pleads for mercy. "Carter, wait! You and I both know I can't run so please hold up!"

I turned around and started walking backwards so I could talk to him. "You're whining. No one likes a whiner." I smiled as he tried to run on the sand.

"Ugh this is terrible." I heard him say as I turned back around. Not even two seconds later I was being taken away, yet again, from the ground. This time, however, Niall was carrying me bridal style. "See, now is this so bad?" I asked, finally pleased with the way he picked me up.

"Yes! You're much heavier this way." I hit his chest but chuckled along with him.

After a while of Niall walking and complaining about how heavy I was, we were back on the boardwalk that lead up to the house. I was surprised because no matter how many times he complained he never once put me down.

"That was way to much walking. Who's idea was that?" He asked out of breath.

"Yours, Niall. It was all your idea," I laughed.

"Remind me to never suggest that again." I shook my head at his tired state. "And if I do punch me for ever thinking so stupidly."

"I enjoyed it," I said and shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know why you're complaining."

"Maybe because you barely walked and I carried you the whole way," he glared at me.

"I never asked you to do that." he grunted at my response as I opened the door to the house. "Guess who's back, back again?" I sang after seeing Mason and Shay sitting on the couch.

"A very tired Niall and a well rested Carter," Niall sang back.

"Hmm...I don't think that's how it goes," I tapped my chin as if I was in deep thought. Mason and Shay just chuckled at our bantering before returning to watching their show. Niall took a few quick steps before throwing himself over the back of the couch and landing on the cushions. "Sweet relief." I rolled my eyes before heading into the kitchen to get my ice cream. What? I was still craving it.

I walked back into the living room and Niall stood up from the couch. "Harry texted me saying they need me for something, so I've gotta go."

"Kay, I'll walk you out?" I asked and he nodded. When we made it to the front door he opened the door and stepped outside. I was just about to say goodbye before he beat me to it. "I think I have a better answer for your question."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "what question?"

"I do think it's fate that I'm here now."

And then he left me to watch him walk away.

---------
A/N

Niall in rain is the reason I have breathing problems.

I SUCK AT UPDATING AND IM SORRY! I TRY, I REALLY DO!!

I hope the fate thing doesn't make anyone mad, it's something to add to the plot and I think it fits nicely. Bae left so soon *cue tears* but in the best way possible *smiles through tears* I've decided on a ship name...drumroll please.......

Cariall (pronounced Ariel but with the 'K' sound in front of it)

It's the best I could do with the two names but hey, it's not terrible.