5 - The Party

"No, you forgot to mention that fact," I said to Shay.

"Oh. Well then...surprise?" She said it as more of a question.

I just glared at her in response. "Hey, come on guys. Carter, it won't be that that bad and Shay, I'm sure a little heads up would've been nice," Mason said, trying to ease the tension.

We continued to eat our pasta in an awkward silence. Normally when you put the three of us together we can never shut us up. But tonight, that wasn't the case. Shay was the first to break the silence, "look, I'm sorry. I forgot that you don't like parties and I just wanted something fun to do the first night that we were here." I looked at her and saw nothing but sympathy in her eyes.

"I understand. It's okay, as long as no one touches my food," I joked. Shay laughed and said, "shouldn't be a problem. We're gonna be on the beach the whole time so, no one will lay a finger on your precious food."

"Oh my gosh, yay! I'm so glad you two made up." Mason piped up in a girly tone, clapping his hands together at the 'oh my gosh' part.

Since Mason was in charge of clean-up duty, Shay and I went upstairs to get ready. I looked over at the clock. 6:38. The party was supposed to start at seven. Great. I grabbed my faded pink shorts, a plain white razorback tank top, and my baby blue bikini and ran into the bathroom. I stripped off my dirty clothes and threw on my clean ones. I then threw my hair up into a ponytail and exited the bathroom. 6:59. Good timing, Carter. While I waited for this dang party to start I checked my phone and found that I had 1 new message from my mum.

From:

#1MUM!!!! (She put it there, not me)

Hey! I hope you're having fun so far and got there safe. Text me and let me know how you're doing. Love you!!

Oh goodness. The first few hours I'm here and I'm already being bombarded with mom messages.

To:

#1MUM!!!!

Hey Mum. We got here just fine. Turns out Mason was invited as a surprise so here's here too! Shay also planned some welcome party so that should be starting sometime soon. I'll talk to you later. Love you too, bye. xx

As soon as I had sent the message, there was a knock on my door. "Come in!"

"What's cookin' good lookin'?" Oh, Shay and her awkward phrases.

"Just a sizzling side of sexy," I replied with a wink.

Shay laughed and said, "you wanna come down sometime soon? People should be arriving and I don't want you to be locked in your room all night long."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm comin," I said. This bed was not helping the fact that I'd rather just sit here all night watching Netflix.

"Ello ladies," Mason said once Shay and I got to the bottom of our staircase.

"Practicing your flirting for the party, Craft?" Shay joked.

"...maybe," he replied.

"Gonna need more practice than that," I mumbled to Shay.

"What was that?" he asked.

"Nothing," I said a bit too quickly.

He glared at me and just as he was about to open his mouth to sass me, the doorbell rang. "Well would you look at the time!" I said, walking over to the door. When I opened it, my eyes grew wide and I almost choked on my own spit. "Hally," I spat.

"Hi, Carter!" she said with a voice that hurts your ears more than nails on a chalkboard. "Mind letting me in? I hear there's a party and I just had to stop by." Kill me now.