Part 35: A Family Affair

Start from the beginning

"You watched Sesame Street as a kid, right?"  Tommy inquired.

"Yeah."

"Remember Snuffy?  Mr. Snuffleupagus?" DJ asked.

"Yeah, Big Bird's friend."  Jozie cocked an eyebrow at Nikki who just shook his head and shrugged.

"Tommy is sitting here trying to tell me that Snuffy was a figment of Big Bird's imagination."  DJ explained.

"Dude, he was!  Don't you remember how he would always disappear whenever anyone else would show up?  No one ever saw him!"

Jozie eyeballed the cocktail in her hand then stared at the two of them in utter disbelief before turning to Nikki.  "Are they actually saying these words or did someone put something in my drink?"

"They've been on this for the last ten minutes.  I feel like I'm a little dumber for just sitting here and listening to it." Nikki rolled his eyes and sipped on his coffee.

"Screw you two.  Ashten will know.  Where is she?" Tommy picked up his phone.

"Uh, look like she is coming this way.  What I REALLY would like to know is who the Adonis is on her arm?" Jozie inquired gaping at the patio entrance over DJ's shoulder.

"The what?" Nikki frowned, his eyebrows furrowed together.

"That one." Jozie pointed, practically drooling. "The one who looks like Bradley fucking Cooper." Nikki followed Jozie's gaze and sure enough, Ashten was walking towards them with some guy, her arm linked with his, the two of them engaging in what looked to be comfortable chatter.  

"Who is that dude?" DJ sipped his drink and met eyes with Nikki who quietly fumed.

Yeah, who the fuck is that dude? And what the fuck is he doing with Ashten? Nikki narrowed his eyes and set his jaw.

"I don't know but he's got me rethinking this whole lesbian thing." Jozie's eyes gleamed as she took in the mysterious broad shouldered man.  He stood at about Tommy's height in navy blue board shorts and a grey t-shirt, the sleeves cut off showing off toned and tanned arms.  She grinned once they made it to the table.  "Is this the something that was waiting for you in the lobby?"

"Yeah," Ashten laughed, not missing the death glare shooting from Nikki's eyes.  "Sorry if I held you all up.  I had to get him checked in and we went to get changed."  She motioned to the black tankini she wore under cut off jean shorts.

"No problem.  Pull up a chair." Tommy gave Ashten a puzzled look as she and her new companion took the remaining seats.

Nikki and Ashten were both pretty sure they heard Jozie suck in a breath when the new guy pushed his aviator glasses back onto his head and smiled, revealing a mouth full of perfect pearly white teeth and bright blue eyes.

"Who's your friend, Ash?" Jozie asked casually, still staring at the Bradley Cooper look alike.  Something about him seemed familiar but she couldn't quite place him.

"And what brings him here?" Nikki inquired with a slight gruffness.

"Well, actually, he is here for Tommy."Ashten grabbed two empty glasses as DJ passed her the pitcher of mojitos. 

"For me?" Tommy questioned as he eyed the mystery man with a frown.  "You didn't get me a male stripper did you? 'Cause that's really not my thing.  No offense, dude."

"None taken." The man nodded and took the beverage Ashten handed him.

"No, Tommy.  You asked if I knew an ortho guy and I just happen to know one of the best," Asthen motioned her hand in presentation then glanced over at Nikki who glowered over his coffee cup.