Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Five-thirty?" That was far earlier than Jack usually lefty for work.

"What took him out that early?" Had he gone to see his mistress before work?

"He didn't go to the office. He went to the church's headquarters to submit his resignation letter. He's resigning, Martha."

"Resigning? Is he out of his mind?" Martha couldn't believe what she was hearing. "We need to stop him." She picked up her phone and was about dialing his number when Mama Grace placed her hand over hers, stopping her from placing the call.

"Calm down, Martha. Trust me. Jack thought this through before making this decision."

"But why?" Jack's pastoral work meant everything to him. He loved it with everything he had. "Why did he decide to resign?"

"When you keep your hand in hot water, you'll definitely feel the effects. Jack made a mistake; this is one of its effects."

"But he's resigning voluntarily. It doesn't make any sense to me."

"Martha, this is not just any kind of work. It is the Lord's work."

"But it was a mistake. He shouldn't punish himself. No one is above mistakes."

"God has His requirements for the people he places as shepherds over his sheep. Jack has fallen short of a few of the requirements. By God's standard, Jack shouldn't head the church."

Martha's eyes welled up as she thought of how difficult this period must have been for Jack. This must have been the hardest decision for him to make. This was the period he needed her the most; when he walked through the difficult roads of life. But she had left him to carry the burden all alone. How inconsiderate of her. She tried to picture their lives after Jack resigned. What will he do? The Jack she knew would never allow her to be the breadwinner of the family. Was he now going to put his civil engineering degree into use?

The door opened causing Martha to look in its direction. Jack came in looking exhausted. He looked around as though he was looking for something. She noticed the look of satisfaction when his gaze finally rested on her.

"Martha." He whispered as he walked to her. Martha barely noticed when Mama Grace took Tessy's hand left the kitchen, Leaving her and Jack alone.

"I'm sorry." He knelt before her and held her right hand in his both hands.

"Please stand up." Her attempts to pull him up were unsuccessful.

"I can explain everything. Just give me the chance, please."

"Why don't you just stand up and let's have this conversation like adults. I'm not comfortable with you on your knees."

"Okay." Jack stood up and took the seat beside Martha. it was then Martha noticed how much he'd aged. He looked several years older than his thirty-two years of age. How much had he been going through?

"Martha, I know you're hurting. You don't know how much it breaks my heart to know I'm the cause of your sadness."

Martha tried to respond but the lump in her throat didn't let her. The tears came in a surge. Jack held her close.

"I'm sorry." His voice broke. "I'm so sorry."

"Why? Why did you do this to me?"

"I was out of my mind that night. I wasn't thinking straight."

"It happened just once?"

"Yes, just once."

"When did it happen?"