sick of losing soulmates - Sprace (Newsies)

Spot had already headed off to class when he finally heard from his best friend.

Racer: hey sorry about last night

Racer: I hope I wasn't too much trouble but thanks for not leaving me behind :)

Racer: anyway I'll let you focus on class

Racer: see ya later spotty

Spot smiled, looking around the lecture hall for a moment to see if anyone would notice before typing out a quick response.

Spot: yeah no problem, T

Spot: I'll be home at noon so I'll grab you some soup on the way

Yeah so maybe Race had stayed up for almost two days straight to finish an essay he had yet to start, and maybe the next morning he had his audition for his spring semester ballet, but he was definitely fine. Or at least he was fine until they went on a completely platonic movie outing that night and literally passed out onto Spot on the way down their apartment hallway.

So Spot definitely did not think he was fine. At first, Race was annoyed because goddammit he could take care of himself, but he had to admit, having someone there to take care of him was nice. Sure, maybe part of it was that it was Spot and any excuse to see his total softie side was an opportunity Race always took, but it totally had nothing to do with his major crush on him or anything. Nope, definitely not.

Still, as he sat curled up on the couch in their shared apartment, he popped one of the Advil tabs Spot had left out for him and turned back to his phone.

Jack seemed like a reasonable person to talk to in the moment.

Racer: Jack help I'm having boy troubles again

He chuckled a little at how, despite how much he hated when they called him out on it, Jack really was like the dad of their friend group. Race was often deemed the 'asshole teenager that does nothing but complain about boys'. It was pretty accurate, to be honest.

Jack: shut up I can't do this anymore

Race rolled his eyes knowing he deserved it, but Jack was just as bad, if not worse, before he finally asked out Davey, so he had it coming.

Racer: do I have to remind you how our conversations used to go six months ago?

Jack: ...fine

Jack: what did he do now

Racer: ok so we were going to go to the movies last night but spot thinks I'm sick now so that didn't really work out

Racer: basically I kinda passed out on the way out of the building and spot took me back home and took care of me

Racer: but I'm not fucking sick I swear I was just tired

Racer: it was nice though

Racer: it's fun to rub it in everyone else faces that he only gives me attention so that's a bonus at least

Jack: ok first of all fuck you he likes the rest of us

Jack: probably

Race couldn't help but smile at that. Jack was right, obviously, but Spot always liked to pretend he didn't care about anyone, but never Race. It served as excellent teasing material, not to mention the fact that it only fueled how badly he was falling for his best friend.

Jack: but I get it, we all know he likes you the most, just don't let it get to your head

Jack: maybe try telling him after all this time