17: No Right Way

They kissed.

He kissed Marron and he regretted it. Not the kiss per se, but what happened afterward. A long, thick silence hung over them as he walked the blonde home, ensuring she was far from danger, she didn't talk and he knew why. He scared her, selfishly trying to claim her as his without the slightest bit of agreement, all in a fit of passion. Of course, Trunks wanted her, she was the sun after the rain and he struggled to come to terms with the concept that she may not see him that same way. Why else would she ask Goten, it was because she saw herself as family, a caring friend - he swore it.

Trunks sat in his bed with his head hanging low, making a feeble attempt to de-stress from that moment of intimacy. He allowed himself to feel for once, allowed himself to become totally enraptured in his emotions and in a single moment, all of it was snatched away. He recalled her gentle eyes peering into his short-lived lecherous ones, filled with the fire from his desire. He felt like a grotesque monster, preying upon her in such a delicate moment. If he couldn't control himself then, how would he later? Trunks wanted to feel as though he deserved her...and like a fool he rushed in. Unable to help the concept that he's fallen for her. He shouldn't have listened to Valese. All she did was worsen the situation.

"Kiss her tonight, trust me I'll make sure you'll get your shot."

A shot his ass! That advice ruined a perfectly good friendship. Trunks stood from the bed and walked over to the balcony pulling out a cigarette. He needed to feel the warmth of something as his heart's grown weary. As he fiddled with the lighter, he wondered what Marron thought of him. Wondering if she hated him, or if he had ultimately ruined whatever there was between them. Was this what he reduced their friendship to? Marron meant so much more to him than a kiss, and now he sees that it wasn't worth the trouble, all because of those few words her friend planted into his head.

He cursed Valese to an extent, her intentions seemed pure but at what cost? What did he gain from her encouragement? How could she possibly ensure that he could even kiss Marron? Those aren't the kind of things you plan for in advance, it's passion not some sort of algorithm.

What did she think of him? Just another guy that wanted to get at her? Trunks sighed as he lit his cigarette and let out a puff of smoke. This wasn't how it was supposed to play out, he didn't plan it this way. For as much as he liked to entertain the thought of holding the blonde close, feeling as his chest thrashed about in excitement at the prospect to hold her, he knew that was something unattainable...and tonight, he sealed his own fate. All he could do now is profusely apologize for ruining what was a kindred friendship with his own emotions.

But he couldn't help it, she illuminated his life in a dark period. A time where he couldn't find the drive to care for himself, pushing everyone away from him. Trunks glanced at the twinkling lights of the city and wondered if she was watching them too.

Marron lounged on her couch with a glass of wine sitting across from her. She was tempted to confront him, granted she wasn't upset with him...in fact, she could still feel the searing kiss on her lips. Marron let her fingertips graze against her lips yearning for another. She never thought that her most childish fantasies would become true so many years later, but Trunks Briefs kissed her.

But it was under circumstances totally out of her own control. She almost wished that the kiss didn't happen, she never wanted something with the one person who she has feelings for to be ruined by the subject of a past lover — if she could even call it that. In her head, it'd be different, purer...not just panic and fear. Trunks wouldn't recede back into his shell and perhaps talk to her more...both were denying their feelings for each other, but Trunks' current history displays that he could never bring himself to admit it, all in attempts to save a friendship that has steadily grown more as the days passed.