"I'll just go look for something for Caroline."

"No, please, don't bother, I'm okay," Caroline spoke up, her soft American accent drawing Isaac's attention back to her.

"No way. You're getting something. Coke or Sprite?"

"Honestly Lois, I'm okay." She smiled. Was she an introvert or was she just shy?

"Then it looks like I'm going to be choosing for you." Lois picked up her purse from her chair and walked out, leaving Isaac alone with Caroline.

"I've never seen her this annoyed before." Caroline looked worried.

"Trust me, she'll be smiling by the time she comes back."

"Wow." Caroline smiled.

Her smile was beautiful. She was far from what he'd expected her to look like. She was younger and much prettier than he'd expected. It was hard to find young and pretty girls who took their lives seriously. People like Caroline impressed him.

"So, how old are you, Caroline?"

"Twenty-one."

He was six years older than her. She was two years younger than Lois. He stole glanced at her left fingers and not finding any ring, he assumed she was unmarried. He spotted the large envelope in her hands.

"Is that your portfolio."

"Yes. You said to come with it."

"Let me have a look."

She gave it to him.

Isaac flipped the first page open and what he saw shocked him. The off-the-shoulder, pencil gown was one of breathtaking beauty.

"Did you design this?"

"She nodded."

Why did she look tense? Was she unsure of what he thought about the design?

"It's beautiful."

"Thank you." He noticed her shoulders relax.

On the second page was a ball gown that looked even better than the wedding gown she had designed for Lois. This girl was good. The more Isaac flipped through the pages, the more certain he was, that Caroline needed to work here. She was an asset and he'd do anything to keep her.

"It seems you design just ladies' wears."

"Yes, sir."

"I love the fact that you're good at what you do. I'm more than pleased with what I'm seeing in this portfolio. I'll love to work with you."

"Thank you so much." She smiled.

That smile again. It was distracting. He needed her to stop smiling. She was already winning his respect. There was something unique about her. He really couldn't place his hand on it. She was very different from most of the women who had been opportune to find their way to his office. Most of them always looked like the sole purpose of their coming was to seduce him, but Caroline was different. Everything she wore spoke decency, yet she was still beautiful. And her face. There was so much innocence on her face.

Caroline looked uncomfortable. She looked down at her fingers as though avoiding eye contact. She had noticed him staring. He looked away. He didn't want to make her uncomfortable. Thankfully, Lois came in at that moment, holding a bag and grinning as usual.

"I got us cupcakes." She placed the bag on the table.

"And ta-dah!" She brought out a bottle of wine she was hiding behind her. "We're celebrating Caroline's arrival."

"I told you she'll be smiling when she gets back," Isaac whispered to Caroline as Lois turned to get tumblers from a cupboard.

Caroline chuckled.

"Here we go." Lois dropped three tumblers. "Caroline, do you mind opening the wine." She handed over the bottle to Caroline.

Isaac watched Caroline hold the bottle as far away from herself as possible to prevent it from spilling over her. She tried unscrewing the cork but it seemed difficult for her.

"Hey. Let me help." He offered. He opened it with just one try.

"Thank you." Lois poured the wine into the three tumblers and gave one each, to Isaac and Caroline, taking one for herself. She took her seat and proposed a toast to Caroline. They all clinked their tumblers as they said their cheers and drank.

"So, what did I miss?" Lois asked.

"Nothing much," Isaac replied. "I was just viewing her portfolio."

"Were you as awed as I was?"

"I was enthralled." He smiled. "Caroline is amazing." He glanced at Caroline.

"Thank you." She looked like she wasn't used to the many compliments.

"About where she'll be working," Lois said. "I've briefed her on the aspect of her doing a lower job and designing at the same time and getting paid higher."

"I hope that's okay with you." He asked Caroline.

"Yes, sir. It is."

"So, where will she be working?"

"With the interns. Is that okay?" He asked Caroline.

"The interns?" Lois spoke before Caroline could answer. "Aren't those the students that are always sent on errands?"

"No, Lois." He laughed. "Caroline won't be in that category. She'll be in the production department. I want her to have firsthand training on how things are done there."

"Oh, that's better." Lois relaxed.

"Caroline, I'd like to hear your opinion. If that's not cool with you, we can find some other department for you." Isaac said.

"No, it's fine." She smiled. "I'll love to work in the production department."

"Good. About the pay, how about seventy thousand naira monthly for starters. It would have been more but we'll be using the rest to pay for your part-time studies." He stopped talking when he noticed the shock on Caroline's face. "I hope the pay is okay?"

"Yes." She nodded. "It's more than okay." She seemed excited. "When do I start work?"

"You can just take the rest of this week, rest, prepare yourself and resume on Monday."

"Okay." She smiled. "Thank you so much."

"Hey. There's something you need to know." Lois spoke up. "Caroline is three months pregnant."

This pang of Jealousy that Isaac felt on hearing this caught him off guard.

"Are you married."

"No." Isaac noticed the sad look on her face. She probably wasn't happy about whatever brought about this pregnancy. But one thing Isaac had learned early in life was not to judge people based on their past. Caroline seemed like a good person and he would treat her the way she deserved.

"Well, I think we still have a lot of time before your due date, so that shouldn't be a problem."

He was tempted to ask her more personal questions but he knew he wasn't in a position to ask them. Was she in a relationship? But why was he bothered? Why did he even feel jealous when he heard about the pregnancy? These were strange feelings and he needed to curb them before they escalated. Lord, please help me. He determined in his heart that he would relate with this woman on a strictly professional basis.