Chapter Twenty

Start bij het begin

This was surprising. "I thought we paid them last week?"

"I thought so too." Clara looked as confused as he was.

"Call me Jerry when you get back." Jerry was in charge of the company's finances which included payments to suppliers.

"Okay, sir." She hurried off.

Isaac entered his office and poured himself a glass of cold water. The company's reputation mattered a lot to him and the fact that some suppliers hadn't received their payment didn't speak well of them. The money had to be sent immediately. As he sat, he heard a knock.

"Come in."

"Good morning sir." Jerry greeted him as he entered the office.

"Good morning Jerry. What's this I'm hearing about the silk and leather suppliers not receiving their payment?"

"I'm also surprised, sir. We sent the money immediately we received the supplies, last week. I didn't know they didn't receive it. It was this morning, while I was going through our last week's transactions that I realized the bank had sent a reversal message last week, of which I hadn't taken note. The problem has been sorted out now. I'm sorry it got to this, sir."

"It's okay. Just be more careful next time."

"Thank you, sir."

"You can get back to work now."

"Thank you."

Not up to a minute after Jerry had left, the door sprang open. Lois entered with a wide grin. "Hey, bro."

He smiled, about to reply when he saw the petite, light-skinned lady that entered right after Lois. It was then he remembered it was Wednesday. He had scheduled a meeting with them. How could he have forgotten? Was this the girl?

"Good morning, sir." The lady greeted.

"Good morning." He smiled at both women.

"Isaac," Lois grinned. "meet Caroline. Caroline, meet Isaac, my brother, and CEO of this company."

"Pleased to meet you." Isaac offered her a handshake.

"You too sir." She smiled politely as she returned his handshake.

Lois was already seated, but Caroline remained standing.

"Please have a seat."

She took the seat next to Lois, directly opposite him.

"So, you're the one with the intimidating talent, yeah?"

She blushed and looked at Lois.

"Caroline," Lois stood and walked to the fridge. "I know my brother won't offer you anything, but don't worry, she winked at Caroline. I'm always here for you." She opened the fridge.

"Come on, I was going to." Isaac tried to defend himself but he knew it was of no use, Lois derived pleasure from teasing him.

"Isaac! Don't tell me it's only bottled water you have in your fridge." She chided him as she searched the fridge.

Isaac facepalmed. "Ouch. I forgot." How could he have forgotten? He'd thought about getting his fridge refilled, but he'd been procrastinating because he wasn't a fan of drinks. He preferred water because it was healthier.

"Really, Isaac," Lois stood akimbo. "you forgot about your meeting with us?" She didn't look pleased one bit.

"Look, I'm just coming from a meeting with the board members, I haven't even had time to go through my diary. If you had come a few minutes later than you came, I would have checked my diary and remembered."