Chapter Sixteen

Hello, Lovelies,

I hope everyone is having a great day!  Thank you for reading Sparked!  I truly appreciate all of you.  

News: I am still editing Sparked.  Thank you for your patience.  Also, I am in two contests.  The Finding Alaska contest.  You can find my entry on my home page.  It's called The First Step.  Also, I am in Wattpad Romance's The Romance Reads contest in the Late Lovers category.

I do hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting.  Comments are appreciated.  If you have a question, comment or send me a message.

-XXXX Amanda 

**********

"We have to help her," Lanie said, her blue eyes wide as she glanced from the water to me, "Something happened to make her realize she's a witch and if her parents find out, they'll burn her."

"Or she's known for a while," I said, frowning, "And she knows it's getting more dangerous. Either way, you're right. We have to help her."

"She may be on her way to us," Bastian said, his eyes darkening.

"Or she may be afraid we won't accept her," I said, chewing my bottom lip, "I mean...Would we believe her without this spell?"

Lanie shook her head, her shoulders slumping forward, "No, I wouldn't."

"So, she may be trying to find a place to hide," I said, knowing there were few places for her to be safe. Callie and Bethany had hidden in an abandoned house that would have fallen down around them with the wrong step.

"Who is going to go out to find her?" Jonathon said and I sighed because I knew he would put up a fight.

"I want to go," I said, causing Jonathon to shake his head almost as soon as the words were out of my mouth.

"Hell no," Jonathon said, a frown marring his brow, "You just battled half the church on your own."

"And I won," I said, raising my chin, "I can protect myself Jonathon. Besides, I'm one of the two witches who have at least a minute grasp of my gifts."

His emerald eyes slid over my face, "I know you can protect yourself," he said, sighing as he saw my resolve and groaned, "You're so damn stubborn. Fine...We'll go but on one condition...We ask Jolie and Frankie if they saw this girl and if they know anything about her."

"Deal but we have to hurry," I said, glancing at the water, "It looks like she's going to bolt soon. For now, we at least know where she is."

He nodded, "I'll go with you," he said, clasping my hand as he glanced at Bastian, "Make sure the others know and are on guard in case the church decides to attack us here."

Then, he tugged my hand until he was walking by my side as we searched for Jolie and Frankie hoping they could give us some answers about the daughter of our worst enemies.

**********

We found Jolie and Frankie in the living room with Gilliam and Callie. Callie was smiling softly at the girls as she explained how the residents of the manor saved her and Bethany as well as her mother.

"If I remember correctly, your mother saved me first," I said, stepping into the room planting a smile over my face, hoping to calm any fears Jolie and Frankie may have, "If it wasn't for her I would have died the same night as my parents."

Callie smiled, her pretty face lighting up, "She told me about that," she said, softly, "The police that were part of the church wanted to take you but she offered you a ride to the hospital instead."

"They almost got me there anyway," I said, shaking my head, "The mortician is also a member of the church."

"Are you serious?" Jolie asked, her eyes wide, "I'm starting to think this town is a perfect setting for a horror movie."

I nodded, "That would be funny if it wasn't true."

I glanced between Jolie and Frankie as their faces darkened further, "I was hoping you could actually help us save someone else."

"Since I don't know how to use my gifts, I don't know how I would," Jolie said, her bottom lip trembling. My heart ached for her because I could tell that she thought she was worthless to us even though she now knew she was gifted.

"Don't worry. Mrs. Claiborne will teach you how to use your gifts," I said, moving further into the room, "I don't need you to use them yet. What I need right now is your memory."

"What do you mean?" She asked, her dark brows furrowing.

"I need information on one of the church members. Did you meet Margaret Harrison's daughter while in captivity?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Lorelle?" Jolie asked, nodding as she winced, "We met her. She wasn't like the others. She was as nice to us as she could be without drawing attention. Why are you asking about her?"

"We did a spell to find the rest of the witches," I said but Jolie nodded her head which made me pause.

"And she's one of them?" She asked but she didn't seem surprised.

"That doesn't sound like it's news to you," I said as a heavy breath left her body.

She winced, "I wasn't sure," Jolie said, her eyes taking on a faraway expression, "But when she touched Veil and Fane during the worst of their torture, they healed...Not a lot...Not enough for the church to notice but enough they didn't give into the bloodlust right away. When she realized I had seen what she had done, she put her finger over her lips signaling me not to say anything and I didn't until now. Still, I started wondering if I had really seen it because she didn't stop them."

"Stopping them would expose her," I said, my heart aching for her, "That would mean death."

Frankie's eyes widened, "But her parents-"

"Have killed family members before who were just distantly related to a witch," I said as Frankie's mouth dropped open in horror, "A five year old girl who was the niece of Margaret. Lorelle is adopted. I'm sure they don't know her connection to the witch's line or they would have killed her already."

"And they call us evil," Jolie said, shaking her head, "How are we going to help her?"

"From what we saw in the spell, she's trying to leave," I said, raising my chin, "Jonathon and I are going to make sure she can."

"I think I know why she's trying to leave," Frankie's voice was soft and tortured.

"And why is that?" I asked, my stomach churning.

"I overheard something before I was saved," Frankie said, shifting, "Her parents were trying to force her to marry a man there named Lloyd. Lloyd was trying to force her to hurt Veil and Fane with a cow prod but she refused. He threatened to tell her parents about her gift. She looked horrified. I don't think she knew he had figured it out until that moment."

"That would push her to run," I said, glancing at Jonathon, "And with the rescue and the deaths of their members they'll be out for blood and she knows that. She doesn't sound stupid enough to believe she's safe because she's their daughter."

"Then, we need to go now," Jonathon said, his brow lowering, "Because if they are out for blood, she's in more danger of being burned than ever before."

"We'll bring her back," I said to Jolie and Frankie as we turned and walked out of the room. I could only hope the words I had spoken were the truth.