XLVII- where is he

(Y/n) stood like a statue in the hall. She had an untouched champagne flute in her hand, people around her were mingling but she was gazing around the room, trying to pick someone she knew out of the crowd. Someone who preferably was not Victor.

"(Y/n)." Peter and Miriam approached her arm in arm. She snapped out of her daze and gave them an artificial smile.

"Mr and Mrs Fenton! It's lovely to see you!" She felt like her knees were going to give way beneath her. 'If Peter could keep it in his pants then I wouldn't be in this mess.'

"It's nice to see you as well, how is your work? You're a therapist, aren't you?" Miriam asked.

"It's... alright, you know how work is." She said awkwardly. "Where's Penelope?"

"She's milling around somewhere." Peter said offhandedly. "I'm more curious as to where that William is."

"I haven't heard from him since he left." (Y/n) said. "Then again, we weren't that close so I wouldn't know."

"I was speaking to his parents and they haven't seen him at all. But they mentioned that it wasn't exactly out of character to go AWOL for weeks on end." Peter said. "Oh darling, we must say hello to the Buerillos." The couple walked away from (Y/n) to go greet another family, leaving her exposed.

(Y/n) decided to set out in search for Penelope. Yes, Penelope, she was a safe haven. Once (Y/n) spent some time with her she could find Yvonne and get the fuck out of there.

The heels made her feet ache, she'd only been wearing for precious little of an hour but her muscles were already begging her to remove them. She imagined that her bad headspace only increased the agony she felt. Walking around didn't help one bit.

All the perfume, cologne and foods in the room combined to form an overwhelming scent that was pleasant to the extent that it was completely overwhelming. The air felt thick and foggy, (Y/n)'s breathing shortened and her legs cried out in pain even more.

On top of this, the feeling of sickness in her stomach had persisted, all this anxiety surrounding Victor and Harlow had left her feeling ill.

She took a sip of champagne to calm her nerves, even if it was just a little bit. She did it more for the hydration than to get drunk at all.

"Is that Dr (L/n)?" A strangely familiar voice rang out.

(Y/n) turned to see an old co-worker of her's, it was Dr Evans. He ordinarily took on state clients but wouldn't treat Harlow because of Harlow's spat with William.

She smiled at him. "Dr Evans, it's nice to see you."

"I heard about what happened." He said pitifully.

(Y/n) opened her mouth but closed it just as quickly, realising she didn't really know what to say.

"Don't worry, I believe you. But it's all about image and reputation these days." Dr Evans rolled his eyes.

"Yeah... thanks."

Throughout the next hour, a few strangers who were friends of the Fenton's or friends of the Evans' spoke to her but there was still no sign of either Penelope or Victor.

On the upside, the dullness of constantly having to answer the same boring questions of 'how are you?', 'what do you do?' And 'how do you know Penelope and William?' made her pain and sickness fall into the background of her mind.

Penelope fidgeted her fingers. William was supposed to be here and she couldn't find him anywhere. And worse still, she couldn't see (Y/n) either.

She saw in her peripheral vision Victor's menacing form.

"Would you excuse me for just one second?" She said to one of William's cousins.

Penelope shakily walked over to Victor.

"Where the hell is she?" Victor growled under his breath, making sure their conversation didn't look suspect from an outsider's perspective.

"She's here, I spoke to the doorman and he'd ticked her name off. I just don't know where." Penelope said quietly, ready to flinch back if Victor made any sudden movements.

Victor put a hand to his chin in thought. 'Would she be so cunning to get her name ticked off and then just leave?... no, she'd stay for Penelope.'

"P, you need to find her. Check the kitchens, she might be with that bitch Yvonne." Victor commanded.

Penelope nodded weakly and turned to search for (Y/n) in the large hall. This didn't come without dozens of people stopping her to congratulate her, and asking her of the whereabouts of her fiancé.

She even slipped into the kitchens to see if (Y/n) had gone to speak to Yvonne, but she wasn't there.

In defeat, Penelope took another flute of champagne and began to neck it.

"P!"

(Y/n) dashed up to her friend as fast as her legs would take her, which wasn't very fast in her current footwear.

Penelope felt a mixture of relief and dread when she saw (Y/n). "(Y/n)..." She smiled holding her arms out to pull her friend into a hug.

They embraced each other for a few seconds, Penelope holding on significantly tighter than (Y/n) was.

"I've been trying to find this whole time!" (Y/n) laughed.

"Same." Penelope stated. "I just need to send a text real quick."

Penelope pulled her phone out of her purse and quickly sent Victor a text that alerted him of where (Y/n) was.

"What was that about?" (Y/n) asked.

"Oh, just texting William to tell him to hurry his ass up." Penelope huffed.

"He still isn't here?"

"No one's seen him." Although, Penelope was more worried about her brother than William right now, she was upset that he's seemingly dodged the party she'd spent months organising.

Penelope noticed (Y/n)'s eyes going wide and her breath hitching suddenly. It was probable that Victor had just walked up to them.

"Hey guys." He said casually.

(Y/n) took a step back but Penelope grabbed her wrist before she could make any more movements away from him.

"I... need to use the bathroom. Can you let go of me?" (Y/n) said with a shaky voice.

"I'm sorry." Penelope whispered sadly.

"What?" (Y/n) refused to believe that Penelope had anything to do with this.

"I'm so sorry."