XLII- just visiting

After having spent most of the day with Victor, (Y/n) had dinner with Penelope and told her about her job at the clinic as they drew up ideas on Penelope's wedding to William.

"Harlow got you fired?" Penelope asked in disbelief, a hand on her hip. "What an ass!"

"Yeah..." (Y/n) mumbled, flicking through the bridal magazine Penelope had shoved in her hands. "This dress is nice."

"Don't change the subject." Penelope sat down at the desk next to (Y/n). "Why did he do that, you don't even treat him anymore?"

"I... have no idea, P." (Y/n) shrugged, not looking at Penelope.

"Let me speak to him then."

"No!" (Y/n) dropped the magazine down. "Do not do that!"

"Jesus, calm down." Penelope put her hands on (Y/n)'s shoulders. "And you're sure nothing happened?"

Flashes of her brief time in his apartment came to mind but (Y/n) brushed them away. "I literally have no clue. But he's unstable, you don't want to see him."

Before Penelope could continue to question her, (Y/n) rose up and left the room.

"I'm going to see if Yvonne is in the kitchen."

(Y/n) marched into the kitchen in search of Yvonne. "Is Yvonne here?" She asked one of the other caterers who shrugged in response.

She turned her head a few more times, gazing about the vast cooking area.

"You looking for your friend?" Victor popped up seemingly out of nowhere.

"Um... yeah."

"I told Yvonne to take some time off, she's not really needed anymore." Victor strides over to (Y/n), hands in his pockets.

"But-"

"I know what you're thinking: don't worry, she's still getting paid." He clarified with a grin.

"Ah, right." That wasn't actually (Y/n)'s main concern but was glad Yvonne wasn't losing her source of income. "I actually was just going to talk to her."

"Sucks she's not here..." Victor pouted. "Oh well!" He brightened up quickly and kept talking. "Do you want to go to the movies? There's some great stuff on."

(Y/n) pondered his offer for a split second but then remembered that she didn't really want to be out on the town at the moment in case Harlow saw her. "I'd love to but I was hoping to stay in for a bit."

"Even better!" He beamed, glad to have (Y/n) to himself. "You know, it's easier and all."

"Of course... we could just watch a movie here if you want?" She suggested.

Wordlessly, Victor took her hand and went out of the kitchen. He guided (Y/n) to a couch in one of the living rooms. "Sit down, I'll be right back."

She took a seat but gave him a look of confusion when Victor didn't do the same. "Aren't you going to sit down?"

"I'm just going to get some stuff together before we start. Blankets, snacks, stuff like that."

"Do you need any help?"

"No," Victor said adamantly. "You just stay here and don't worry about anything."

"It's nice that you're trying to cheer me up but I don't want to be useless." (Y/n) said.

"You're not useless!" He opposed, crouching down to be at the same level. "You're the furthest thing from it." He ruffled her hair playfully. "But you deserve to not have to worry about trivial things."

(Y/n) was slightly unsettled. His words were eerily similar to what Harlow had said to her the night before and it didn't help that his eyes held a darker quality within them than she'd seen on him before.

But even if she wanted to call him up on it, Victor had already dashed off to prepare provisions for their movie night.

Victor walked down the hall, carrying a variety of blankets and pillows with him. He was so excited to spend this valuable time with (Y/n). It truly was a blessing that she'd been fired.

"Victor."

His father's voice intruded his thoughts of (Y/n).

"Yes, father?"

"You said you were going to work today." Peter said stoically.

"Something came up." Victor answered with an equally bland tone,

"Something always comes up with you, doesn't it?" Peter rolled his eyes. "You can't be like this, son."

"I can't help it if I'm busy." Victor shrugged.

"Busy? With what? Making a pillow fort?" Peter gestured to the slew of fluffy blankets and pillows. "Your work needs to come first."

"Can't you handle things? Just until the engagement party?" That was all the time Victor needed get (Y/n) in a position where she couldn't refuse his proposal. When they were engaged he'd have a more viable excuse for neglecting his work, and once the company was handed to him, Victor intended to sell it and live with (Y/n) off the money that the sale earned him.

"Your mother and I are taking a vacation, we leave in around an hour. You need to take control now."

Victor blinked many times in shock. "Vacation...since when?!"

"Since your mother found out I'd done something... inappropriate with one of our housekeepers. I'm making it up to her, we'll be back for Penelope's party thing." Peter responded in nonchalance.

Victor fumbled over how to reply, the time he had with (Y/n) in the house was priceless and he was about to waste it with work. "Can't you get someone else to do it?"

"You'll need to do it someday, Victor."

'Unlikely.' Victor thought. "Fine, I'll get started tomorrow."

"As long as it's done." Peter departed back down the hall.

Victor let out a groan of annoyance, he'd need to make a move tonight if he wanted any hope of a yes.

"I'm back!" Victor came back into the living room. Alongside the blankets, he'd also made some popcorn in the microwave.

"That smells so good!" (Y/n) gushed. "This is so kind of you."

"It's nothing." Victor was sure that his happiness at seeing her reaction trumped any of the joy (Y/n) felt anyway. "I'm going to put on a horror movie if you don't mind." He said. "The staff has gone home and no one else is here so you can scream if you need to."

"What about your parents? And Penelope?" (Y/n) scoffed.

"My parents are going away before the party and Penelope said she was talking to Harlow."

"I'm sorry- what?!" (Y/n) thought her heart had stopped.

"I know, it's so weird that they'd just decide to go on vacation out of the blue like that-"

"Not your parents! Penelope! She's with Harlow?!" (Y/n) jumped up.

"Calm down, I'm sure she's fine."

(Y/n) shook her head firmly. "She's not... she's not."