XXXI- disconnected

It had been three days since (Y/n) had rejected Victor. She hadn't spoken to him, taking Penelope's advice.

She honestly felt terrible ignoring him, he obviously felt very raw and no doubt his self esteem had been knocked. (Y/n) wanted to see him, she truly did miss her friend after all.

She often found herself thinking of him whenever she was at work, or whenever Harlow would text her out of the blue, or when she was getting coffee with Yvonne, or when she was planning the engagement party with Penelope. Day and night. All she felt was suffocating guilt that she'd destroyed the friendship.

(Y/n) had to constantly remind herself that it had only been three days, not three decades. She had gone a whole year without seeing him, why couldn't she last one measly week?

Unsurprisingly, the three days for Victor hadn't been much better. He'd shut himself in his room, workers brought food and water to his door but it often went untouched or very little was missing.

Miriam and Peter didn't much care for Victor's little tantrum. They assumed it was something they did but weren't eager to inquire, taking on the presumption that he'd get over it eventually. Even if it wasn't about them, they weren't overly bothered to check what was wrong with him. Once they learnt that his physical health was okay, they pretty much disregarded his isolation.

Penelope would go and check on him every now and then, but was always jilted at the door. Victor had only opened it for her once, she couldn't believe the person before her was her brother. The bags under his eyes were pronounced, his shiny hazel irises had lost their colour and shine. His hair was messy and untampered with, making him look more like Harlow than ever.

William had also tried his hand at knocking on Victor's door several times over the days, but didn't receive any response. His input wasn't overly important anyway, he was leaving soon and wasn't going to return until the day of the party.

Penelope had made the decision not to tell (Y/n) about Victor cutting himself off. She knew how badly (Y/n) wanted to see him, and hearing about his current state would only greaten that desire.

But even without Penelope telling her, (Y/n) still showed up to the Fenton mansion. She had to fix things.

"You need to give him more time." Penelope said in an attempt to dissuade (Y/n) from going to his room. "Seeing you right now won't be good for him."

"He can't just lock himself inside all day. That's not good for him." (Y/n) huffed, crossing her arms. "As much as I sympathise with him, he needs to learn how to take rejection like an adult."

Penelope frowned. "He's hurting."

"I know that. But we can't just leave him to wallow in his own sadness." (Y/n) elaborated. "Please let me talk to him."

"No. He's too fragile... maybe you should come back in a few days." Penelope advised, her suggestion coming off as more of a command.

"You do realise how absurd this is, right?!" (Y/n) pointed out. "I want the best for him, believe me I do. But shutting himself away is only doing himself and others harm."

"I actually agree with (Y/n)." William piped up, entering the room. His appearance shocked the two women, (Y/n) narrowed her eyes at him as she was still pissed off.

"Of course you do, you always have to go against me." Penelope complained.

"It has nothing to do with that. But Victor hasn't had any human interaction in three days, that's intense. He's got to come out at some point and if he isn't going to do it himself maybe (Y/n) should do it." He still didn't make eye contact with (Y/n), Harlow's threat was still fresh in his mind.

(Y/n) smiled and nodded at William, something she never thought she'd do. "Exactly."

"(Y/n), tell the truth, are you doing this because you're worried or because you miss him?" Penelope raised her eyebrow in question.

"I...um... a bit of both? Does it matter?" (Y/n) rubbed at the back of her neck nervously, she'd been called out,

"Of course it does, you can't be his therapist and his friend." Penelope contended.

"I'm not trying to be. He doesn't need a therapist right now, he needs a friend and that's exactly what I am." (Y/n) argued, crossing her fingers that Penelope would let her see Victor.

Penelope sighed outwardly, she knew much more about Victor and the way he thought than (Y/n) did. She knew how badly he was stinging and seeing (Y/n) at this point in time would just set him back.

"You should go home..."

As they spoke outside his door, Victor didn't pay attention. He could focus on anything apart from (Y/n) and the pain. The two things alternated and combined in his mind. How could she make him feel so euphoric and awful at the same time?

He could feel himself slipping, he had nothing to hold onto. Not anymore.