VIII- smile

"Are you gonna order anything or are you just gonna sit there looking miserable."

A clear feminine voice made its way to (Y/n)'s ears, she sat up and turned to see a woman of around her age wearing a waitress's uniform. "I'm only teasing, but you do need to order something to be in here. My manager's giving me stink eye." The woman was tall and slim, she had a mass of blonde curly hair pulled into a messy bun and chocolate coloured eyes. But the thing about her that stood out to (Y/n) more than anything was the sweet smile that adorned her pink lips.

"I'll uh just get a black coffee please." (Y/n) responded.

"Come on, don't be so boring." The woman said playfully. "You see those iced buns in the display case?" She pointed at some perfectly round cinnamon buns that had a neat swirl of white icing on top.

"Yeah."

"I made those. It's almost the end of my shift, I'll get you one on the house and you need to tell me what you think of it." She spoke excitedly, her smile grew and (Y/n) couldn't help but reflect her happy expression. "Sorry for getting overexcited, it's just-" She sighed outwardly. "Today is the first day that I've been allowed to sell the stuff that I baked and I haven't seen anyone try one yet. My manager said if they sell well he might give me a job back in the kitchen which would be great. It's more pay and I absolutely love to bake." The blonde woman rambled.

"I'll take one." (Y/n) said with a beam. "And don't worry about paying for it. I'm happy to pay."

The woman squealed and did a small jump. "Coming right up!"

(Y/n) watched her scurry into the kitchen with a smile. Her nerves concerning Harlow and Victor had certainly been soothed by the waitress's positive aura.

"(Y/n)."

She turned away from where the blonde had been to see Harlow and Victor standing over her. "Hey, how'd it go?"

The men shared a look. "He's kind of a dick." Harlow said blankly.

(Y/n)'s expression drooped, her plan hadn't worked. Victor picked up on her sadness and quickly sought to rectify it.

"It wasn't that bad, don't worry, (Y/n)." He said quickly, taking a seat next to (Y/n). He picked up one of her hands and clasped it in his. "Plus, we think we may be... twins."

(Y/n) raised her eyebrows in surprise, but then the pieces floated together in her head and she shunned herself for not realising before. "That's... interesting. Do you think you'll see more of each other?"

"We-" Harlow began, but was quickly cut off by Victor.

"We wanted to meet our biological mother."

(Y/n) smiled at Harlow. It was good that he was seeking family members. "That's great, do you know how to find her?"

Victor frowned slightly at (Y/n)'s attention being fully on Harlow.

"I'll need to go back to my old foster care system." Harlow grumbled.

"That's going to be really hard for you, but I'm really proud that you're making this choice."

Victor was utterly appalled with the amount of praise Harlow was receiving. He decided to cut in. "Let me take you home, (Y/n)."

"Don't worry about it, I actually ordered something to eat." (Y/n) dismissed.

Harlow almost laughed at Victor's frustrated expression. "Welp, I'm gonna go. Text me if you need me. I'll see you around, (Y/n)." He sauntered out.

"You're working with your dad tomorrow so he'll probably want you home early. I'll talk to you tomorrow." (Y/n) gave him a kiss on the cheek after she said her goodbye.

Victor wanted to protest further and stay with (Y/n), but the kiss she gave him made him dizzy to the point that he could barely think of an excuse. He figured he'd just cut his losses and leave. "Goodbye, (Y/n)."

The bell attached to the door rang as it shut. As the bell went off, the waitress appeared in front of (Y/n). "Sorry that took so long, I saw you talking to your friends and I didn't want to intrude." She placed a plate with an iced bun on it in front of (Y/n) along with the black coffee she had originally wanted. The waitress pulled her apron off and sat opposite (Y/n).

"You should have come over and said hi." (Y/n) looked at the iced bun in awe, growing excited to try it.

"I don't know. You seemed pretty close with the guy who sat down with you and I didn't know if he was your boyfriend or something." The waitress fiddled with her hands nervously.

"Victor? My boyfriend?" (Y/n) laughed loudly, snorting a few times. "You should quit this baking stuff and become a comedian."

The waitress perked up considerably. "You have an amazing laugh." She breathed out.

"Really? I always hated it. The only people who seem to like it are you and well, Victor." The women locked eyes, her (e/c) irises couldn't seem to tear themselves away from the mesmerising dark brown eyes ahead of them. "My name's (Y/n)."

"Yvonne." There was a small yet comfortable silence. "Now. Try the bun! I can hardly wait!" Yvonne yelped.

(Y/n) lifted the sweet to her lips and took a bite. The spicy ginger and warm cinnamon blended perfectly with the soft sweetness. The bun was light and airy so it wasn't too dense and the icing only accentuated the fantastic flavouring. "It's amazing." She moaned out through a mouthful.

Yvonne clapped her hands together happily. "I'll tell my manager you said that!"

"And that means a lot coming from me. My mom's a chef so I kind of know what I'm talking about." (Y/n) bragged, wanting to impress Yvonne.

"Your mom's a chef? That's so cool!" Yvonne seemed happy and ecstatic over anything. It was a nice change from (Y/n)'s normally slow moving life. "My mom taught me how to bake but she wasn't a professional or anything. She always encouraged me and told me I was her little 'gold star' whenever I did good. She even got me this:" Yvonne pulled a necklace out from under her shirt. It was a fine gold chain with a small gold star hanging from it.

"That's really pretty." (Y/n) said quietly.

"Thanks, I wear it practically all the time." She tucked it back in her shirt.

"You should leave it on the outside of your shirt... it looks nice."

Yvonne grinned at (Y/n) and pulled the necklace out again, laying it over her shirt. "I should run home, my mom will be waiting for me."

"You live with your mom?" (Y/n) was slightly confused. With the way Yvonne was talking about her mother in the past tense, (Y/n) had assumed her mother was dead.

"Uh yeah, she's pretty sick so I need to look after her. We have a nurse come in during the day but I need to be with her at night." Yvonne's eyes dropped, she began to fiddle with the necklace.

"Oh... I'm really sorry."

Yvonne shrugged with a sad smile. "It's not your fault." She stood up and looked as if she was about to leave but stopped before she did. Yvonne pulled a pen from behind her ear and scribbled a number on one of the napkins. "Call me sometime, yeah?"

"Yeah."