XXX- so confused

"W-what?" This was all wrong, she was supposed to leap into his arms and stay there until the end of time. He felt his heart crumbling bit by bit as reality set in.

"You're my best friend and I do love you... but not in that way." She said carefully.

Victor's emotions were mismatched and all flying at him at once. Urges filled his mind of how to respond but he had no idea which to act on. Should he accept her rejection? It would be the gentlemanly thing to do and she'd feel some sympathy for him and want to comfort him. Or should he ignore it? He wanted to do the latter, she was just confused! He knew (Y/n) far better than she knew herself and he knew they were made for each other. She should just trust him to know what's right.

His blood simultaneously was cold with a deep depression and boiling with rage. He had no clue how he truly felt but the one thing Victor knew was that he hated it.

"Let's go back inside." (Y/n) recommended, she felt bad, she couldn't control her feelings but wished dearly she could control his and switch off the way he felt. Every small gesture that she had looked upon gratefully as an act of kindness and friendship suddenly became a desperate grab at her affections. It all turned painfully obvious to her.

"Is there someone else?" Victor questioned, not even hearing what she had said.

"What?" (Y/n) immediately became anxious that William had said something about Yvonne.

"Is it Harlow?" His tone became almost deadly, a darkness took over his eyes grimly. He thought of how Harlow would trick and abuse (Y/n), tell her lies about him to make her hate him. Victor had no evidence of anything of the sort happening but it all came so clearly in his head.

"No! Harlow has nothing to do with this!" Her volume raised.

"Good." Victor didn't notice the tears that were building in his eyes. If Harlow hadn't manipulated her then she really was just not interested in him. She really didn't love him.... 'No...no! She has to love me! That's the way things need to be! Nothing makes sense if she doesn't love me... I need to act normal, I can't give her any reason to become more lost than she already is.... yes, that's right, she's lost, just a bit misguided... once she trusts me I can bring her clarity and she'll realise her overwhelming love for me...'

"I'm sorry for... everything." He continued falsely. "I shouldn't have told you that."

(Y/n) frowned and put her hand tentatively on his arm. "Don't say that, I'm glad you told me. We shouldn't have to keep secrets." She felt a twinge of guilt saying the last part as if she wasn't keeping her own crush a secret from him.

"I feel like I just made things completely awkward between us." He groaned.

"Don't worry about that!"

"Ugh, he's made things totally awkward between us!" (Y/n) finished her rant to Penelope.

"Don't mean to be that bitch but I did call it." Penelope pointed out.

(Y/n) rolled her eyes. "Yeah, whatever, but what am I supposed to do?"

"Just wait for a bit and then tell Victor that you're sorry and you accept."

"Um... what?!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "But I'm not into him, I'm into Yvonne."

"Come on! My brother is so perfect for you!" Penelope pleaded, making her sad eyes.

"P, can you please give me some real advice?" (Y/n) ran a hand through her hair, close to tearing it out.

"Fine, sorry... If I were you I'd just give the issue some time to blow over. He'll get over it eventually, then things can go back to normal." Penelope said with a small and careless shrug.

(Y/n) nodded slowly. She didn't know this at the time, but she was in the process of receiving the worst advice she'd ever been given.

"What do you mean by 'time to blow over'? How long is that?" (Y/n) asked.

Penelope tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Just ignore him for like a week, I don't know."

"I'm really trusting you here, P."

"In my defence, I'm not normally in situations like this. If a guy who I don't like has it bad for me, god knows I don't want to be friends with him." She scoffed.

"I just hope he's okay..."

In short, Victor was not okay.

He had stayed out in the garden after (Y/n) had gone inside. He wanted to stay out there and just stay there till he was numb from the cold or better yet just die from exposure.

'No, I can't die. Not when (Y/n) still needs me. She's so confused and fragile, how is she supposed to protect herself from bad people... people like Harlow.' He thought.

His vision cast to the rose bush, he had taken her out there for a beautiful and romantic atmosphere and instead he just has the irony of being surrounded by all these symbols of love after being rejected by his own one true love.

He gripped his cold hand, that was quickly losing feeling, around the stalk of one of the roses. While he appendages we're going slightly numb, they weren't quite numb enough to shield him from the pain of several thorns digging themselves into his palm and fingers.

They drew blood from his hand but he hardly cared. The most attention he gave the incident was a slight wince in pain from the initial shock. He tore the rose away from the others and began to rip its petals off.

His dark crimson blood stained to soft pink petals as they fell to the ground.