XV- engagement

Victor stared at some paperwork in boredom, not using enough brainpower to even put together the numbers and letters on the page. His mind was far far away from his father's words. 'God, is that guy gonna shut up?' He thought, glancing up to the older Fenton who was droning on about... something or other.

Victor couldn't keep his mind off of (Y/n). The way she had ignored him on Saturday worried him. That night, the anger he felt for Penelope was unwanted. He loved Penelope, but not if she was going to be taking away his precious time with (Y/n). 'I can't keep doing this.' He told himself. 'I've been in love with (Y/n) for so long and all I've done is keep others away from her, I need to actually make a move.'

"Victor?" His father's voice actually came to his head that time. "Are you even listening to me?" Peter Fenton sighed at the far-off look in his son's eyes.

"Of course." Victor lied, hoping no questions were asked about what had just been said.

Peter looked at Victor for a bit longer and then put an exhausted hand on his head. "Let's take a break." Peter walked out of the room in irritation but Victor couldn't care less about that.

He pulled out his phone and tapped on his favourite contact, lifting the devise to his ear.

"Hello?" At the sound of her voice his face heated.

"Hi, (Y/n), how are you?"

"Oh, Victor! That's so funny I was just talking about you." (Y/n) didn't really answer his question but she sounded quite happy which was good enough for him in that point in time.

"Really?" He was flattered that she thought about him in his absence. "Maybe you want to come over?" Victor offered in excitement.

"I can't I'm afraid. I'm at the gallery with Harlow right now."

Victor's expression of anticipation faded into a cold bland countenance. She had taken him to the gallery, undoubtedly she was talking to him about her father, it took fucking years for her to take Victor to the gallery and now after knowing Harlow for what- almost three weeks? She's going there with him, and without telling Victor beforehand even though she knows that he worries about her and she knows that he sees Harlow as a threat. 'You're really testing my patience, my love.'

Was she doing this to piss him off? Make him jealous on purpose? Was it possible that she was just as in love with him as he was with her and was just trying to make him make a move? That had to be it. There's no way she'd do something like this for any other reason, why would she want to be around that scum?

"That's oka-"

He was cut off by the sound of her muffled laughter over the receiver, he also heard some words from a voice that sounded uncannily similar to his.

"Sorry, Harlow just said something really funny." She said through giggles. "What were you saying?"

"I need to go." Victor spat in anger, hanging up the phone and stuffing it his pocket. She really knew how to push his buttons. 'Fine... if she wants me to make a move then that's just what I'll do... who am I kidding? She's not trying to piss me off or make me jealous or anything, she's just a nice person who's trying to help Harlow even though he's dreadfully unworthy of being in a ten yard radius of her. I need to accept the fact that (Y/n) doesn't see me as a viable romantic option... yet. But there are things that can be done to change that.'

Victor had decided to take his break outside, getting some fresh air would help him calm down. He went straight to the pink rose bush, running his fingers over the petals. "What to do, what to do..." He whispered to himself.

He tugged a rose from it's thorny branch and held the head of the flower in his hands. Victor plucked at the soft petals, discarding them on the ground. The quiet sounds of the wind rustling some trees and a few birds singing in the distance made for a calming atmosphere that allowed Victor to cool down and think logically.

This quiet was broken by his sister's voice penetrating the air at a loud volume. "You can't expect me to plan this entire engagement party by myself!"

Victor sighed, he knew that Penelope was upset about her engagement and wasn't fond of or even very familiar with her fiancé. He pitied his sister, for the fact that she'd never have a love as great as his and (Y/n) - well, no one would, but Penelope was one of the few people he believed deserved love.

"Well, why don't you take your fucking paperwork and shove it up your ass?! There is no way you're too busy to even have one spare moment, I can't do this by myself!" She screeched desperately.

Penelope was silent for a bit before she spoke in a slower, quieter, sweeter tone. "Thank you, was that so hard? Now, take some notes: I need the entire aura of the ballroom the scream 'romance'. Even though everyone and their mother knows we're not in love, people need to feel like we are."

Victor's ear pricked up as he heard this. That was it! With the right romantic atmosphere and a bit of subtle flirting before hand he could easily play (Y/n) into his hand with the ultimate loving gesture- a marriage proposal. He knew it would be a bold statement for a first move but it was the closest thing he could think of to properly expressing his feelings. Of course, the bounds of his love could not be held by silly contracts or social structures but he felt that simply asking her to go out with him or be his girlfriend just made a mockery of the extent of his feelings.

Victor was also aware that it was a bit of a dick move to propose at his sister's engagement party but Penelope hated William- she should thank him for any attention he takes away from them.

Victor couldn't stop himself from smiling maniacally. 'Oh, I can't wait to go and pick a ring!'