XX- happy families

Harlow hurried out of the house. He couldn't seem to stay any longer. As soon as he came out of the door he spotted (Y/n), she was still waiting in the car.

He ran up to the vehicle and pounded on the window. (Y/n)'s head jolted towards him as she unlocked the door and Harlow climbed in the passenger seat.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked, detecting his sadness.

"It's all bullshit. My whole life it's just been-" He slammed his hand down on the dashboard in frustration, trying so hard to keep himself from crying.

"Let it out, just take a breath and tell me what happened." (Y/n) said calmly, not wanting to rile Harlow up any more than he already was.

"Well, for starters that Fenton Fuck is my dad." Harlow growled through gritted teeth.

"Fenton Fuck- wait, you mean Peter??!" (Y/n) was extremely surprised. "Peter's your dad?"

"Doesn't even matter anyway, he didn't want either of us. He only took Victor because Quinn would've sued his ass off if he didn't." Harlow turned to (Y/n), he'd calmed down a bit and had congratulated himself inwardly for successfully managing to keep himself from crying. "If things had been the tiniest bit different then I would have Victor's life. I'd be a millionaire training to be a CEO, I wouldn't need therapy and god knows I wouldn't have even come close to county jail... fuck... but, no, Miriam picked him up and left me to be carted off to god knows where."

Harlow thought sorrowfully on the fact that in another life he would've met (Y/n) so much sooner, but he kept that from her.

"There's no use thinking about how things could have been." (Y/n) comforted reaching for his hand tenderly. "But things are going to work out, you're getting so much better so quickly, you're definitely on the path to a life free of crime." She chuckled a bit at the end. "Your new therapist must be pretty good."

Harlow smiled, not letting (Y/n) in on the fact that it wasn't his new therapist that was making improvements in him... it was her. The way he felt about (Y/n) was confusing to him to say the least, it seemed to transcend words and language. 'Am I in love with (Y/n)?... no, I can't be...'

"I guess it's weird to me to be around people like you and Victor, I've never been around people with money before. Well, apart from that guy I got in a fight with." Harlow tried to explain.

"You're really something special, Harlow, don't forget that." (Y/n) said truthfully. "It's rare that you get to see someone make such drastic improvements in real time and I really couldn't be prouder of you." She let go of his hand, Harlow immediately missed the feeling of her soft skin against his. "Do you think you'll see Quinn again?"

"...no."

"Really? Why not?"

"I told you before, I don't care about my biological family." He lied.

(Y/n) opened her mouth to protest but the words died on her tongue, she needed to be a supportive friend. "Whatever you want."

Their moment was interrupted by the opening of the back door of the car.

"What was that!?" Victor asked Harlow accusatorially.

"Victor." (Y/n) warned, knowing that Harlow was fragile in that moment and didn't need to be yelled at.

Harlow restrained a smile as he caught a glimpse of Victor's shocked expression in the mirror.

He was shocked that (Y/n) would go out of her way to defend Harlow, on top of that she was defending Harlow against him.

"How were things with you and Quinn?" (Y/n) questioned through the tension.

"My parents will never let me have a relationship with her, there's no point." Victor leaned into the seat further.

'Poor Quinn. She met both of her sons for the first and last time after waiting twenty six years.' (Y/n) thought. 'No, I can't concern myself with her. Victor and Harlow are both my friends and I need to support their choices.'

After dropping Harlow and Victor off at their respective homes, (Y/n) went back to her place. She needed to fill out some forms for work but this was interrupted by a text message.

Yvonne: Sorry about the other night. Let me take you to the club again to make it up to you.

(Y/n): Maybe skip the club? I don't know, it's not really my thing. Also, there's nothing to make up for I had a great time sleeping with you all night.

As soon as she pressed send, (Y/n) wondered if she had been too forward with her response, her face curling up in anticipation. What if Yvonne wasn't into it?

Yvonne: Haha, I did too. I thought you were mad because you left first thing in the morning, I didn't even see you.

(Y/n): Victor showed up, there was some drama with his mom but it's sorted out now.

Yvonne: How does Victor know where I live lmao

(Y/n): We got this tracking app back in college and I guess he kept it. I was mad at first but since he was emotional I forgave him.

Yvonne: That's hella weird. I gotta go, my manger's yelling at me. Bye!

(Y/n): See you.

(Y/n) put her phone down and leaned back in her chair in thought. It was strange that Victor had kept the app. She pondered confronting him about it but it would only end in a fight.

She rested her head on the desk, she wasn't used to having this sort of drama in her life. She never fought with Penelope and Victor, she'd never got involved with a patient and certainly never had any love life. Now she had all of this pseudo family drama that she was somehow involved in and she found the whole thing exhausting.

(Y/n) picked herself up. 'I'm sure this will all blow over soon and I can go back to my boring life...'