Chapter 19

Christmas was over for another year and now today was Boxing Day and it was a day down at the lake and playing cricket just being typically Australians. Luke was the batter and I was the bowler and it was girls vs. boys

“Alright bring it”

“It’s on Hemmings” I threw the ball at him and Luke hit hard causing it to go into the lake, the boys cheered with him. The boys had official won and I was pissed and yes I was a sore loser and they had more people and we lost a player because Sarah didn’t want to play such a stupid game. Luke ran up to me where I had my arms crossed.

“Someone being a sore loser”?

“No shut up, it went in the water it shouldn’t count”

“Aw” Luke gave me a hug and I said

“No don’t touch me, your annoying me”

“It’s okay to lose Jodee”

“Shut up”

 - - -

Later that evening everyone was eating lunch and by lunch I mean KFC because why not? I heard my phone ringing and I saw it was Ashton. I got up quickly answering it forgetting I had a mouthful of food in my mouth.

“Hello” I said walking away from the family leaning against a tree.

“Hey beautiful miss me”? He asked, is he stupid of course I missed him

“Of course I do, how’s being at home”?

“It’s great get to sleep in my own bed but I do miss your cuddles”

“I miss your cuddles as well”

“ASHTON”! I heard a female voice in the background that sounded older

“Listen I gotta go mum needs help I just wanted to call and say hello but I can’t wait to see you”

“Bye Ashton”

“Bye gorgeous” I hung up smiling, turning around seeing Luke making me jump

“Bye Ashton” he said making fun of me, I pushed him telling him to be quiet. I did miss Ashton but I couldn’t show it and be happy like me and Ashton isn’t a thing.

 - - -

Luke and Michael were out of the boat again with dad and Shaun; I was tanning with Mia and thankfully not Sarah. My phone started ringing again and I thought it was Ashton but when I looked at the contact it wasn’t Ashton it was a different number. I answered it being really confused.

“Hello?”

“Hello is this Miss Clifford”? the voice was very posh and I said

“Yeah who is this”?

“Hello Miss Clifford I have called you to tell you that we will be seeing you next year at London University”  my eyes widen and the biggest smile appeared of my face

“Are you being serious”? I asked

“I’m being serious Miss Clifford you present at this college will be great and I can’t wait for you to join”

“Thank you so much you won’t regret it I promise”

“Have a good day Miss Clifford” the line disconnected and I looked at Mia who was confused

“What happen”? she ask

“I got in Mia, I did it I got in I’m going to London University”  

“Oh my gosh Jodee” Mia gave me a hug and said “I’m so proud of you and your brother will be and even Luke” I pulled away remembering I haven’t told Luke about London.

“Shit Luke”

“You still haven’t told him”? I shook my head “Hun you have to tell him before it’s too late and you’re on a plane to London and he has no idea where you went”

“Maybe I don’t want to leave him behind, we’ve been best friends for so long and if I live he might forget me”

“Luke’s not going to forget you alright you’ve been best friends since you were five years old, it’s time you mention it to him” I nodded my head knowing it was time to tell my best friend that I was leaving after summer break. I saw Michael and Luke running over to us and Michael ran over giving Mia a kiss and a hug. Luke walked over to me giving me a hug but it was a pity hug from me.

“Alright something’s wrong do you want to talk about it”? I nodded my head and took Luke’s hand taking him to the oak tree down near the lake far away from the house. Luke and I sat down and he said “What’s wrong”?

“Luke I need to tell you something and you have to promise me that what I tell you we will always be best friends”

“Wow, wow listen whatever you need to tell me I’ll understand and we will always be best friends because nothing will come between us”

“That’s good to hear so listen when this summer ends” before I finished Luke’s phone rang and he looked at it his eyes widen

“Look we need to talk about this later because I really need to take this, sorry” Luke got up answering the phone leaving me sitting there leaving me with my thoughts.