Chapter 8

The country club parties were always the same, old people chatting about boring things and drinking fancy wine. Luke and I were sitting near the lake having dinner and making fun out the people who were being posh. It was nice just being with Luke for a while having a funny conversation then being around the family who were boring us.

“So tell me about this evil cousin Sarah”? Luke asked, I rolled my eyes at the thought of my evil cousin

“She’s a bitch, I love her mum she’s a sweetheart but god Sarah is a bitch you know all summer last year she kept going on how she was in a music video she tries to be better than everyone and yeah I get jealous and she gets to go to fashion shows but man I just need to slap her”

“Wow can’t wait to meet her”

“Yeah but I can’t wait until she dives into that water tomorrow night” Luke laughed at me and said

“Come on let’s get more food” we both got up walking to the diner, when it came to all you can eat Luke and I were pigs and that was the beauty of this friendship. I had lots of food on my plate and once I turned around I wanted to throw my plate away.

“Ashton” he was looking smart as ever, in a tux being a waiter with his hair slicked back and his smile.

“Hey, uh got enough food there love”? he asked laughing, I looked down at the food and looked back up at him smiling. Luke was beside me with the same pile of food as me. “Who’s this”?

“This is my best friend” Luke elbowed me and I said “Oh and boyfriend”

“Wow I didn’t know you had a boyfriend, how long have you been dating”?

“Almost a month” Luke said smiling

“Well it’s nice to meet you man, you’re lucky to have such a beautiful girl”

“Yeah I am” Luke told Ashton looking down at me smiling.

“Well I’ll leave you too, see you around Jodee have a great night” Ashton winked at me again walking off.

“He seems nice” I turned around looking at Luke annoyed “What”?

“Why did we have to tell him”?

“Because you can’t be like his my best friend and next thing you know your mum says I’m your boyfriend leaving him confused”

“Why do you always make good points”?

“Because I just do”

Out of all the people that I had to tell I was in a fake relationship it had to be Ashton, I was sure last year he had feelings for me and maybe this year he was going to make his move but I couldn’t change anything now. Ashton knew I was taken and that sucked.

 - - -

After dinner, Luke and I were watching my parents and the rest of the family dancing to the band on stage. I could see how happy my parents were being here this is there holiday as well and seeing them this happy after having such a hard year was great. Michael and Mia were dancing as well, Michael wasn’t really the dancing guy but he loves Mia that much that he will get up and dance with her.

“Maybe we should dance” Luke said

“Luke you know I have two left feet”

“So does your brother but his up there with Mia”

“Alright fine” Luke got up grabbing my hand and pulling me to the dance floor. I was having fun hanging out with my best friend and glad he come up with this idea of being a fake couple just so I can get revenge and that I can enjoy my summer with him. But the fast song didn’t play anymore the band played a slow song and it was one of my favourite songs when I was growing up.

“I love this song” Luke said, Luke wrapped his arms around my waist singing along to the song Chasing Cars making me smile. Luke was twirling me around still singing trying to make me laugh and it was working. I rested my head on his shoulder and noticed Ashton looking at me leaning against the wall looking sad. I pulled away from Luke and let go of his hands walking back to the table leaving Luke on the dance floor by himself.