Chapter 4

I was screwed two more days until I leave for the family reunion and I was dreading it. Apparently Sarah told grandma I might have a boyfriend and then Grandma told basically everyone because Grandma can’t keep her mouth shut. I was depressed about it and kept watching romance movies to make me feel bad. My phone rang and it was Luke’s ringtone I answered it sounding sad.

“What do you want”?

“I want to know why I haven’t seen my best friend in 2 days”?

“Because Luke your best friend is depressed and watching romance movies alone because she wants to but it’s making her feel worse”

“I’ll be right over” Luke hung up and I continued watching The Last Song.

10 minutes later there was a knock on my door and I said

“Come in if you dare” the door opened and I saw Luke standing there with a bag “What’s in the bag”?

“Two tubs of ice cream and one is cookies and cream which you love”

“Bring it here” Luke laughed taking a seat in front of me heading me my ice cream and a spoon and he got his tub of ice cream out.

“Alright tell me what’s wrong, why are you upset”?

“It’s about this bet thing and it’s got me thinking that I would like to have a boyfriend to rub in Sarah’s face but that means I would be using him and I’m not that mean and plus Sarah told grandma that I may have a boyfriend, I’m screwed Luke and I don’t know what to do”?

“You’ll be fine Jodee it’s not that big of a deal”

“I’m basically screwed Luke, everyone is expecting me to come to the vacation with a boyfriend and I don’t have one and I’m going to end up losing the bet with my cousin and jump in that cold lake at night”! I continued eating my ice cream upset with myself and eating my feelings

“I’ll do it” Luke said

“Do what”? I asked still eating the ice cream angrily

“I’ll be your boyfriend” I looked up at my best friend wondering why he would suggest this but soon laughed.

“Luke, don’t be stupid” I said still laughing at Luke eating my ice cream but Luke took it away from me giving me a serious look.

“No I’m being serious, this means a lot to you because of your evil cousin’s stupid bet and I want her to shut up once and for all”

“I don’t know”

“Come on, I’ll be the best boyfriend ever” Luke said with a smile holding my hand swinging it back and forth. I wasn’t sure if it was right thing to do but it will shut my cousin up so I guess I had no choice.

“Alright fine I’m in”

“Awesome now if we’re going to do this were going to do this right” I was confused at first but Luke said “Jodee Clifford will you be my fake girlfriend so we can shut your stupid cousin up”

“I would love to be your fake girlfriend” we both laughed at each other and decided to watch 22 Jump Street so I could be happy but I still wasn’t sure if this was going to work at all.

 - - -

Luke and I were about to tell my parents that we were dating, if we told them we were fake dating then Luke wouldn’t be going on this trip. Luke and I ran downstairs and before walking in the kitchen I stopped him.

“Are you sure this is going to work”?

“Of course it is now hold my hand and smile” I held his hand and said

“Someone’s demanding” Luke dragged me into the kitchen where mum and dad and also Michael were. Mum looked at Luke and I holding hands, the biggest smile appeared on her face.

“Mum, Dad and Michael I’ve got something to tell you”

“Is it finally happening, are you guys finally together”? I looked at Luke and back at my family slowly nodding my head making mum run up to us giving us both hugs “I knew it was going to happen sometime didn’t think it would be now oh well, yay wait until the rest of the family meet him” mum ran off and Michael and Dad looked at us

“You two aren’t really dating are you; it’s just to shut up your rich ass cousin isn’t it”? Dad asked

“Yep pretty much” Dad laughed and said

“Don’t worry your secret is safe with us” mum ran back in jumping up and down all cheery. I don’t know how we are going to pull this off but Luke and I are going to try are best at faking it.