Chapter 21

Peyton watched the monolith in its glass case nervously. This was it. She was about to leave. Thor watched her patiently, he knew Tony would be angry when he found out Thor helped her leave, but if she succeeded, he wouldn't even remember and everyone would be alive. This was for the best and he had complete faith in her to do what needed to be done.

"Alright I'm ready." she said quietly.

"I wish you the best of luck, Peyton Stark." Thor clasped her shoulder and walked out of the room, closing the door tightly. She opened the glass case and let the monolith liquidate around her.

~~~

New York was bright and hot as the sun beat down on the people bustling by. Peyton watched as mothers pushed strollers, teenage girls window shopped, and young couples walked down the sidewalk. To all of them it was just another day. To all of them Aliens still weren't widely accepted as real. To all of them, life was normal. This was right before the beginning of a new age, an age where people lived in fear of the things outside of earth's atmosphere. However, it didn't look much different from Peyton's present. She pushed past people and arrived at a small coffee shop. She sat in the back corner facing the rest of the store and pulled out her computer.

"Alright Agent Coulson, let's see what you're up to." she began typing until finally she hacked into his computer, clicking away from some file she didn't care about and onto a new document where she bagan typing.

I need your help

Who are you?

A friend. I have extensive knowledge about the tesseract and the Avengers Initiative. The world is headed towards destruction and I'm the only one who knows how to stop it, but I can't do it alone.

Sounds like you watch a lot of sci-fi movies... How did you hack into my computer

This isn't a prank Agent Coulson (but yes I may watch to much Sci-fi, that's besides the point), don't tell Fury a thing. Meet me at the following location

She sent him the address of the coffee shop and waited. Not much later a tall man with a receding hairline walked in and scanned the area. She smirked at him, arms crossed, raised eyebrows. He made his way over to her.

"Who are you? We looked through your computer- nothing." he said.

"Who's we?" she asked.

"An agent that works with computers. I didn't tell director Fury about this- yet. You have five minutes." he said.

"Agent Coulson, what do you know about the Kree?"

"Not much. I know they're aliens." he said.

"Well, I can't go into too much detail, spoilers and all that, but they know how to time travel and helped me get here from the future." she said. Coulson barked out a laugh.

"What makes you think I would believe that?" he asked. She pulled out an envelope that had been signed on the seal and slid it over to him.

"I haven't read it, but here's a letter from future you to help me convince past you." she said. He eyes her warily but opened the letter anyways. After quickly reading the message he set the letter down.

"You're Stark's kid?" he asked. She rolled her eyes.

"He didn't tell you too much did he? I'm not trying to completely destroy the timeline." she said.

"No. He- or I, i guess- basically just told me to keep an eye on you because you're problematic." he chuckled.

"Oh, haha, so funny. I hope I've bought myself more time?"

"You have. Why are you here?" he asked.

"Several years from now The Avengers as well as other heroes are going to face their biggest threat and they're going to lose. I'm here to make sure that they don't without also completley effing up the timeline." she said.

"Okay, what's your first move?" he asked.

"I need to work closely with the Avengers for the next few years. I need you to now talk to Fury and get me a position on the Avengers. I have super powers so it's not like I don't have anything to qualify. This way I can collect what I need to collect when I need to collect it. Plus I need the Avengers to trust me. Also, I need a phone and a place to stay... that will soon be Avengers tower preferably but until then..." she said. Coulson nodded.

"I'll see what I can do... What was your name?" he asked.

"Call me... May." she said.

"Alright, May, I will meet you here in five hours." he said. She nodded and stood.

"Okay. Until then I have to do something."

~~~

Peyton leaned against the light pole as she watched the children at the park play. Three children were all wearing capes and running around the play castle. They were a bit older than the rest- 11 years old- but they still probably had the largest imagination there.

"Alright kids, come on, it's time to head back to the apartment." an older man called.

"Aw, Uncle Ben, come on, five more minutes?" a young Peyton asked.

"I agreed to that five minutes ago," he chuckled, "come on, if we don't go now then May will decide to cook dinner." he said. The three kids eyes widened and they all jumped down and ran over.

"Can Ned stay over tonight?" young Peter asked. Young Ned looked up at the man in anticipation.

"If his mom says it's okay then I don't see why not." the man replied. He looked up then and spotted Peyton who immediately looked away.

"Are you alright, Ma'am?" he asked her, concerned. Leave it to Ben to take care of every crying child he sees, even a sixteen year old that he's never even met. She wiped at the tears that she hadn't even noticed before and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." she said.

"Is there anything I can do?" he asked. She shook her head.

"N-no... I'm sorry, you just remind me of someone that I lost a few years ago." she said quietly.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure he was a great man." he said. She nodded.

"He was." she looked at the three kids who were watching the exchange quietly, "You three appreciate what you got while you've got it, okay?" she asked. The three kids nodded and the group left the park, leaving her to stand there alone.