Chapter 14

He's down, hurt, and trying to help everyone else. So far Tony's the only one still on his feet, still fighting. He's next to Peyton when she stands, he already knows what she's planning. He knows she wants to help him, but she'll just get hurt.

"Peyton, no, you can't." he's so focused on stopping his sister that he doesn't realize what's happened to Tony until she screams. His eyes widen. His body freezes. No. Tony is wheezing and bleeding and he's seconds away from death and Peyton is about to run but Quill grabs her and holds her back. Unlike his sister, Peter can't run, he just sits and stares, helpless. Then Tony is walking towards them and Peter isn't sure how or where Thanos even went, he watches his sister run to their father and he stands. Slowly, he moves on wobbly legs. He saw Tony look at him and then open his free arm. Peter collapsed into the hug.

~~~

People are disappearing all around them and suddenly, Peter's senses scream.

"Tony? Tony, I don't feel so good," he says as his stomach tightens. Tony turns.

"You're okay," he says but he's wrong. He's not okay, he can feel his atoms begin to disappear, feel his skin and bones began to tear apart. His body is breaking from the inside out and he can feel all of it. He's speaking. Stuttering. He rambles, not really knowing what it is that he's saying until he's falling. He looks to his sister who is staring at him, horrified, and to his father who's looking so pained.

"I'm sorry." and with that, it's over. His body is no longer screaming. He's just... gone.