Chapter 10

The room was completely white. The sheets, the walls, the TV. Peyton honestly didn't mind. As she watched the news, that's all she heard- the news. No one's thoughts raised through her mind like they were her own and even though she had only experienced that for a few hours, it was relieving. She looked up upon a door opening and in walked Daisy.

"Hey, how are you doing?" she asked, handing the small girl a plate of breakfast. Peyton had spent the night in the room and she hadn't realized how hungry she was until she smelt the eggs and bacon.

"Good... What happens now? Can you help me?" she asked. Daisy nodded.

"I can. Are you ready?" she asked. Peyton nodded and Daisy stood, ready to lead her out.

"Be prepared to walk out into the buzz, there are a lot of hard working people out there whose minds are probably running rampid." she said. The teenager just nodded, tucking a curly strand of brown hair behind her ear and following her mentor closely as they made their way into the noise.

They made their way into another room and as soon as the door shut, the noises stopped.

"So, does this room block out my powers somehow as well?" she asked. Daisy shook her head.

"No, it doesn't do anything to them. Did you stop hearing everybody?" she asked. Peyton nodded.

"Yeah."

"That makes since, you probably have to be in the same vicinity as someone to hear their thoughts. It's probably similar to actual conversation." she said.

"I can't hear you, though," Peyton said.

"That's because I'm blocking you out. It's easy since you can't control your powers, if you could i'm sure you could break through," she explained.

"Oh... so what are we going to do?" she asked.

"First, you need to learn to control who you can hear and when you can hear them, a few agents are headed down so you won't be too overwhelmed, it will just be a couple of us and you will have to try to block us all out. Then we'll try and get you to focus on one person rather than all of us." Daisy said. Peyton nodded. At that moment a buff looking African American walked in along with a petite looking woman with short hair, and a young slightly fit man.

"Peyton these are Agents Mack, Fitz, and Simmons. Normally I might have some other random agents in here but you're special so you get to hang with my friends." Daisy smirked.

"Nice to meet you, Daisy has told us so much about you." Simmons said with a large smile on her face. Peyton blushed, smiling slightly.

"Nice to meet you too." she said. She couldn't hear any of them.

"We're all going to let our guards down but we'll try not to be too loud." Daisy told her. She nodded and suddenly her ears were flooded with noise.

"Okay, now focus on your own thoughts, try and block us all out."

Peyton let her eyes fall shut as she tried to ignore the voices banging around in her skull. Her brain wasn't supposed to do this. She was smart and loved to think and imagine and she didn't appreciate the invasion of her mind, it was hers. So she pushed it all out until it was silent. She opened her eyes to find they stayed silent.

"I can't hear you anymore." she said and wow that was quick. She expected that to be harder.

"Good. Now, why don't you try focusing in on my thoughts." Daisy said. Peyton shrugged and let her eyes fall shut again. She should probably learn to use her powers without having to close her eyes, but for now, it helped.