18. Heaven and Hell

Recap (because its been a while)

My stomach churned uneasily and I suddenly didn't feel very hungry anymore. I must have halted my steps slightly as Kai gently nudges me gently forward toward the large double doors of the great hall. There was no going back now. As we walked through the door it was like my worst nightmare, all heads turned to us, watching. No doubt the power of Kai emanated throughout the hall and some faces showed intimidation while other looked at me and glared. It all happened so fast. One second I was sanding at the end of the hall staring blankly at the crowd, the next, all hell had broken loose. 

If I thought that I was ready for the uproar that I would cause at my return, trust me when I say that I wasn't. All it took was half a second to scan my face for them to realize who I was and when they did, fury and hatred like nothing I had ever seen took over the majority of their features. The shouts and calls were as vile and full of hatred as they could make them. I kept my face carefully blank and let Kai guide me to where Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting. The rest of the students at the Gryffindor table scooted as far away from the group as possible, like I had a disease or something. The funny thing was, I didn't blame them. I'd hate me to. I did hate me. I felt a squeeze on my hand and looked down to see Kai entwine his fingers with mine. I gave him a small smile but if felt plastic. 

"Why is she here?"

"How could Dumbledore let her back in after what she's done?"

Murderer... evil... Death Eater... Voldemort's spawn...

It went on and on, each insult bounced around in Anna's head on a never-ending loop. 

"So, what have you guys got up first?" Harry asked the group. No doubt to ease the pressure off me and I silently thanked him for it. I picked up my parchment time table and groaned. Even after the recent events Snape's lessons were just as appealing as they were before. Ron looked over my shoulder and scoffed.

"Same with me... bloody greasy-haired pillock." I snorted at his words and cast my eyes down to my cereal. If I said I was feeling confident about today I would  be straight up lying. Even Kai's reassuring grasp was failing to lift my spirit. I was only brought out of my brooding when a hand clasped my shoulder. Startled I spun around to look at who it was and released a breath when I recognized the soft face.

"Jezebel." I breathed her name in wonder. I truly felt like centuries since I had seen her face. Jumping up out of my seat I burst into sobs when she didn't hesitate in pulling me into a soft hug. Discreetly I sent a prayer to the lord above that she wasn't behaving like the rest of them. 

"Oh Anna I'm so happy you're back! I'm so so sorry for what you've been through but just know that I don't blame you, truly I don't. I love you and so does Jace, he's just still cut up about the whole Alex thing." 

What, that his friend ended up being a two-timing lunatic? Yeh that would knock me around too.

"Thanks Jezz, I've missed you so much." I give her another squeeze and look into her face. It seemed that throughout the time I had been gone she'd gone through quite a few changes. Her face wasn't as round and as youthful as before. It was almost as if the whole situation had aged her. Her hair, usually shiny and healthy hung limp from her scalp and her cheekbones now prominently showed. 

"Well, now that I've seen for myself that you're whole and safe in my arms I'd better get to class. We'll catch up tonight and you can tell me all him." After a moment of confusion I turned to where she was wagging her eyebrow and saw Kai sitting behind me on the table, turned slightly away from us so he didn't look like he was listening into our conversation but I knew he was.

I suppose I did have some explaining to do. "Oh, yes. Sounds good. Black Lake 7pm?" She nodded quickly and trotted back off into the crowd. 

After Jezz's hug I felt a little better than I had before, but that was quickly put to rest when our trio plus Kai got up from the Gryffindor table and made our way out of the Great Hall. I couldn't even look in any of their faces. Guilt like I had never felt before began pooling horribly in the bottom of my stomach. I could feel the bubbly of hysteria work its way up. Just as we were walking down the corridor to potions I felt my elbow be tugged firmly, pulling me behind a nearby tapestry. In the small space Kai was crammed in front of me, his large muscular physique taking up the majority of the room. 

With light fingers he tipped my chin up so my eyes met his dazzling ones. Not for the first time was I captured by his sheer beauty and other-worldly presence. He was breathtaking in every way, the light shimmer around him, the sharp jaw connected to perfectly pink plump lips matched with dirty-blond tousled hair set of his 6'5 powerfully built body. 

How did I even deserve him? I had done nothing.

I was torn out of my trance by his deep voice that sent pure shivers up my spine. "If only you knew how I saw you too, Anna. You are perfection. These people are only angry because they do not understand. You had no choice, it wasn't you."

I looked away from him and nodded, but felt little relief. He used his fingers to make me look back up at him and I gulped when I saw that his eyes had darkened slightly. His gaze fell briefly down to my lips before he swooped down and captured them gently with his own. Electricity sizzled in my blood. Unfortunately after a twenty seconds or so we parted, me breathing slightly heavier. Kai looked down at me intensely.

"Do you trust me?" I didn't even think before I nodded my head. "Everything will be okay, and I'm not just saying that." Before I could even open my mouth to quiz him more he began speaking again. "And I also need to tell you that I have some things to sort out today so I'll see you after you've finished up with your friend tonight."

My eyes widened when I realized he was leaving me to fend for myself on one of the worst days possible.

"But you can't-" I couldn't even finish the sentence before he was kissing me again. 

He backed away after a few seconds and stared at me apologetically.

"I'm sorry darling, but since you've returned I've left quite a few things unanswered which I have to get to. Don't worry, I know that you still have friends here. Don't forget how string you are my love, I'm so proud of how far you've come. Most would not have had the strength." I looked deep within his eyes and could feel through the bond his admiration and love flowing into me. Suddenly I no longer felt as anxious as I did before. Again Kai and his many mysterious talents. 

I nodded and rubbed my hands along his fabric-covered biceps. "Well if there's no avoiding it, I have to say goodbye or Snape will literally have my head." I roll my eyes. Kai chuckles and leans down to kiss me yet again, I savor the moment before he backs away. 

"Goodbye my anima, see you in a few hours." I smile at him.

"Goodbye and good luck with whatever you need to do."

Once Kai had disappeared I rejoined the few students still lingering in the corridor and groaned to myself. I was late. The walk to the classroom was long but at least there weren't many people glaring, hateful insults on the tips of their tongues. Once I reached the heavy wooden door I released a pent up breath and pushed it open. Immediately every head turned to me and I brusquely made my way to the empty seat at the trio's bench and took out me book. Unfortunately a slimy voice interrupted me whilst doing so. 

"Late Miss Riddle. I suggest that you not let your recent ...popularity get to your head, there will be no special treatment. I expect you to be on time always. Twenty points from Gryffindor." 

The Gryffindor students let out murmurs of indignant and complaints. My attention however was still caught on what he had called me and suddenly the last string I had on my control was cut and I blurted out my next sentence before I could think twice.

"Actually sir, it's Miss Black."

Hey guys, well it's been been over a year and here is another chapter. Pretty sure no-one even reads this anymore but oh well. Low-key had to go back and read most of what I had written because I had completely forgot  Enjoy, and thank you to those recent commenters who encouraged me to update.

Vote!

Comment!