Chapter Thirteen

CH.13

I'd spent most of the day reading. Nothing for school or to study, just for myself. It felt nice to just let myself decompress and enjoy what I was doing. Getting lost in a book, being in another world. Of course, it never does last long.

"So," Ginny plops down in front of me on a cushy chair in the common room, "care to tell me where you actually got the necklace? Since you claim none of my brothers sent it..."

"G," I laugh lightly, "your brothers aren't all infatuated with me." She makes a face, "I've never even met Percy! Why on earth wo—"

"Okay that one was reaching a bit." I open my mouth but she cuts me off, "so was guessing Bill, I suppose."

"It's really not all that interesting, it's not from a secret admirer or mystery boyfriend," I roll my eyes, "I think it might have been my mum's, or almost my mum's..." I close the book I was reading and set it on the side table beside me.

She creases her eyebrows, "how did you get it? Was it with the things at Grimmauld? Why haven't you ever worn it?"

I sigh, "calm down, Ginny," I touch it out of habit, habit that I've somehow caught in the past two days, "did I mention that Snape gave me a box of old things?" She shakes her head,. "Oh.. well, he did. Memories of my mum, and him. This," I let go of the pendant I hadn't realized I was holding, "was in there."

"So..." she nods, "maybe it was meant to be a gift she never received? Or something she'd given back to him after their fight?"

"Maybe..." I sigh, "but they were so young when they fell out, I can't see a less than wealthy 13 year old purchasing this..."

"Hmm," she tilts her head, looking at it, "perhaps it was a peace offering? And he... just.. you know..." she looks up at me sadly, "never got the chance."

I nod, holding it again, "maybe." I think for a minute, "I think my Mum was also trying to reconnect before, as well... little hints of me. Saying she thinks he'd be a wonderful Godfather."

Ginny nods. She was always good about holding her opinions back for me. I trust people that I probably shouldn't. Snape, Draco, even Blaise. Ginny is one of the only people that doesn't give me any trouble over it.

"Do you think he'll be okay with you wearing it?" She tilts her head, "I mean, if it was meant for Lily... maybe it would be painful for him, you know?"

I sigh, "I guess if he asks for it back, I'll have to give it to him..." I shrug, "but unless he says otherwise, I think I'll wear it."

She nods in agreement. We were quiet for a few minutes, my mind darting back to the book beside me and how I wanted to be reading it again. Ginny stared into the fire as if it were a film screen. Just as I was reaching out for my book Ginny spoke again, "can we go get dinner? You've been sitting here since before lunch and I can't go down there alone and I'm hungry."

I sigh, retracting my hand away from the old pages. "Yeah, I should probably eat something as well," I stand as she jumps up to join me, "but, why can't you go alone?"

"Dean," she groans, "if I go down alone I don't have a cushion to avoid him."

"I'm sure Hermione would gladly cushion you," I chuckle, following her out of the tower.

"That would involve telling the boys that Dean and I broke up... and that Dean is a right git." She rolls her eyes, "I don't think either of them would take it too well."

I scrunch up my face, "mmm maybe you're right. We can just sit with Neville instead."

"See," she links arms with me, "this is why I like you." She scrunches her nose.